It’s a long weekend for me (Canada day – huzzah!), so I’m really phoning this week’s post in so I can get oot and aboot. The wife and I are making super-deluxe poutine tomorrow with ALL the fixin’s (sour cream, onions, bacon, smoked meat, cheese curds [of course], and 2 types of gravy), and I’m SO excited to laze around, eat poutine, and drink beer tomorrow. I racked my brain for something simple to write about tonight and decided I’d snap a few quick pictures of my plants that I’m growing under my DIY LM561C strip build and share.
Warm temperatures have finally arrived and it’s time to move my indoor plants to the great outdoors. I started these peppers in December using 5 gallon space buckets, which they quickly outgrew. Once they were too big for the buckets, I moved each pepper into its own closet and moved one Vero 18 out of each space bucket into these 2 closets. I initially had a Moruga scorpion and a Chocolate Brainstrain under each light, but due to an incident involving my beloved hound, one of the Chocolate Brainstrain plants was broken in half, so the only real comparison is between the Morugas. Here are the peppers on their last day under the lights:
I’ve been on a week-long hiatus due to being super busy with work and getting sick, but I aim to get back on track. It’s been awhile since I updated my tent and 3000K vs 5000K grows, so here are some pictures.
Hope you all had a nice weekend! We had a taste of Spring last week with +10 degree Celsius weather, but were thrown right back into the dead of Winter on Saturday with nearly a foot of fresh snow and lows in the -20C range. Not wanting to go anywhere with all the snow, I found myself with some time to spare so I modified my little DIY grow tent in order to create a bit more space for my plants.
My bucket peppers are looking pretty healthy. It’s interesting to see how the 2 types of plants look so different now – it’s easy to tell the Scorpions from the Brainstrains, but it’s difficult to tell which are 3000K and which are 5000K plants. At this point, they are still nearly indistinguishable. The 3000K Scorpion has more bulk to it than its 5000K counterpart, but the Brainstrain plants are very similar in size and structure.
I think the timing for Spring is going to work out very nicely for these plants; usually, I’m moving plants outside in the first week of June. These guys should have an excellent head start on producing peppers before it gets too cold again at the end of August. I really shouldn’t even be thinking of this summer coming to an end yet though! Spring is still a ways away so I’ve got plenty of time to enjoy scooping frozen dog shit off my barren tundra wasteland of a lawn before the birds start singing and the icicles start melting.
Today, our cold snap finally broke and it warmed up to a reasonable -12 or so. It’s supposed to be above 0 degrees this weekend, so I’m pumped. When it was a chilly -30 the other day, I finally decided to move my grow tent up into my office where it’s nice and warm and the plants have already responded without a doubt.
Time for another update on this log, but first, a quick note: I shut down the forum section on the site since it was causing a lot of problems with bots sniffing around and spam users registering. There wasn’t a whole lot of discussion going on anyway, so it’s easy enough to just do away with it. That being said, I’d still love to chat about any questions you guys might have, see your builds, or just shoot the shit about any other interesting LED stuff. From here on, just hit me up on twitter or Facebook, or use the contact page on the site.
What’s goin’ on?
Life is good here. Most of the plants in my little grow tent are doing quite well right now, with the exception of the tomatoes, which have endured some abuse in the past couple weeks. I’m having some difficulty striking a balance between giving the tomatoes enough light, while not frying all the greens on my upper shelf. I’ve been lazy lately, and have been adjusting my dimmer by feel without measuring the output – I took my ammeter down with me the other day and was surprised to see I had turned the current all the way down to 400mA!
The buckets are in business!
This will be super-short tonight as I’m totally wiped from doing flooring all weekend. I’m going to be pathetic tomorrow – just a whiny, sore, miserable, slug of a human being. I’m almost done though… Just 3/4 of a staircase to go.
Back on topic: I was concerned that my space bucket peppers would never bounce back but it appears they have. Currently, I’m getting mixed results from the 2 different types of peppers, which is probably just due to the fact that I have such a tiny sample size for this little experiment.