I’ve been on a week-long hiatus due to being super busy with work and getting sick, but I aim to get back on track. It’s been awhile since I updated my tent and 3000K vs 5000K grows, so here are some pictures.
Hope you all had a nice weekend! We had a taste of Spring last week with +10 degree Celsius weather, but were thrown right back into the dead of Winter on Saturday with nearly a foot of fresh snow and lows in the -20C range. Not wanting to go anywhere with all the snow, I found myself with some time to spare so I modified my little DIY grow tent in order to create a bit more space for my plants.
Today, our cold snap finally broke and it warmed up to a reasonable -12 or so. It’s supposed to be above 0 degrees this weekend, so I’m pumped. When it was a chilly -30 the other day, I finally decided to move my grow tent up into my office where it’s nice and warm and the plants have already responded without a doubt.
What’s goin’ on?
Life is good here. Most of the plants in my little grow tent are doing quite well right now, with the exception of the tomatoes, which have endured some abuse in the past couple weeks. I’m having some difficulty striking a balance between giving the tomatoes enough light, while not frying all the greens on my upper shelf. I’ve been lazy lately, and have been adjusting my dimmer by feel without measuring the output – I took my ammeter down with me the other day and was surprised to see I had turned the current all the way down to 400mA!
I hope you’re all doing well. I’m squeezing in a quick update tonight for the grow tent, but before that, I want to give a shout-out to user Noel for sharing his latest build using Citizen chips. Here’s the final product:
This week marks my first official “harvest” from my little indoor garden. I noticed that some of the older lettuce leaves were starting to get a little wilted so I decided I’d chop a bunch off to make myself a nice little salad. My last basil in soil died, but I still have one going in coco, so I’m happy. I think I’ll use the extra space to try growing some garlic, which I was reading about the other day. It looked like fun, so I’m going to give it a shot.
Today was a big day in my little garden.
I picked up more soil and a buttload of 1 gallon pots on my way home from work, and finally potted up my plants! A good chunk of them were on the verge of becoming root bound, so I’m glad I didn’t wait much longer. I decided to mix in a bag of perlite with my soil in an attempt to improve aeration. Hopefully these little guys transition smoothly – it’s starting to look like a real garden now!
Time for another little update. For the most part, everything is going well but the basil is basically all dead. Even the new leaves aren’t looking good – I think they were just in too bad of shape to recover. Fortunately, I do have one basil left in coco that’s going strong! The rest of the plants in soil are looking really good.
The coco plants are getting a bit yellow, so I think I’ll have to feed them again. I’m going to give them another day to dry out a little more, then I’ll hit them with some nutes…