Warm temperatures have finally arrived and it’s time to move my indoor plants to the great outdoors. I started these peppers in December using 5 gallon space buckets, which they quickly outgrew. Once they were too big for the buckets, I moved each pepper into its own closet and moved one Vero 18 out of each space bucket into these 2 closets. I initially had a Moruga scorpion and a Chocolate Brainstrain under each light, but due to an incident involving my beloved hound, one of the Chocolate Brainstrain plants was broken in half, so the only real comparison is between the Morugas. Here are the peppers on their last day under the lights:
I’ve been on a week-long hiatus due to being super busy with work and getting sick, but I aim to get back on track. It’s been awhile since I updated my tent and 3000K vs 5000K grows, so here are some pictures.
My bucket peppers are looking pretty healthy. It’s interesting to see how the 2 types of plants look so different now – it’s easy to tell the Scorpions from the Brainstrains, but it’s difficult to tell which are 3000K and which are 5000K plants. At this point, they are still nearly indistinguishable. The 3000K Scorpion has more bulk to it than its 5000K counterpart, but the Brainstrain plants are very similar in size and structure.
I think the timing for Spring is going to work out very nicely for these plants; usually, I’m moving plants outside in the first week of June. These guys should have an excellent head start on producing peppers before it gets too cold again at the end of August. I really shouldn’t even be thinking of this summer coming to an end yet though! Spring is still a ways away so I’ve got plenty of time to enjoy scooping frozen dog shit off my barren tundra wasteland of a lawn before the birds start singing and the icicles start melting.
Time for another update on this log, but first, a quick note: I shut down the forum section on the site since it was causing a lot of problems with bots sniffing around and spam users registering. There wasn’t a whole lot of discussion going on anyway, so it’s easy enough to just do away with it. That being said, I’d still love to chat about any questions you guys might have, see your builds, or just shoot the shit about any other interesting LED stuff. From here on, just hit me up on twitter or Facebook, or use the contact page on the site.
The buckets are in business!
This will be super-short tonight as I’m totally wiped from doing flooring all weekend. I’m going to be pathetic tomorrow – just a whiny, sore, miserable, slug of a human being. I’m almost done though… Just 3/4 of a staircase to go.
Back on topic: I was concerned that my space bucket peppers would never bounce back but it appears they have. Currently, I’m getting mixed results from the 2 different types of peppers, which is probably just due to the fact that I have such a tiny sample size for this little experiment.
Happy New Year!
I’ve been putting this update off for a long time because things have not gone well and I was sort of disappointed. Nevertheless, here’s where we’re at with the space buckets.
Mexico Midget Tomatoes
As predicted by user noel, the mighty tomatoes could not be contained by the 5 gallon pails, despite expanding them vertically. I’d have to spend a small fortune on 5 gallon pails in order to expand them high enough to make this work – my lesson learned here is that I should have used a tote or plastic garbage can instead of pails for these veggies. I thought that I might be able to top them and find a way to limit their height, but even if I had figured that out, they were also still fairly burnt from getting too close to the light in the first week (and, truth be told, I neglected them too long at the start to notice!).
Okay, maybe that title is a little sensationalized. This is hardly a smackdown – it’s barely a schoolyard slap fight – but I’m gonna stick with it because it’s so dumb that it made me laugh aloud when I typed it. Today I kicked off a new lil’ experiment in which I’m going to compare a 3000K vs. 5000K LED grow light.