The buckets are in business!
This will be super-short tonight as I’m totally wiped from doing flooring all weekend. I’m going to be pathetic tomorrow – just a whiny, sore, miserable, slug of a human being. I’m almost done though… Just 3/4 of a staircase to go.
Back on topic: I was concerned that my space bucket peppers would never bounce back but it appears they have. Currently, I’m getting mixed results from the 2 different types of peppers, which is probably just due to the fact that I have such a tiny sample size for this little experiment.
I hope you’re all doing well. I’m squeezing in a quick update tonight for the grow tent, but before that, I want to give a shout-out to user Noel for sharing his latest build using Citizen chips. Here’s the final product:
Happy New Year!
I’ve been putting this update off for a long time because things have not gone well and I was sort of disappointed. Nevertheless, here’s where we’re at with the space buckets.
Mexico Midget Tomatoes
As predicted by user noel, the mighty tomatoes could not be contained by the 5 gallon pails, despite expanding them vertically. I’d have to spend a small fortune on 5 gallon pails in order to expand them high enough to make this work – my lesson learned here is that I should have used a tote or plastic garbage can instead of pails for these veggies. I thought that I might be able to top them and find a way to limit their height, but even if I had figured that out, they were also still fairly burnt from getting too close to the light in the first week (and, truth be told, I neglected them too long at the start to notice!).
This week marks my first official “harvest” from my little indoor garden. I noticed that some of the older lettuce leaves were starting to get a little wilted so I decided I’d chop a bunch off to make myself a nice little salad. My last basil in soil died, but I still have one going in coco, so I’m happy. I think I’ll use the extra space to try growing some garlic, which I was reading about the other day. It looked like fun, so I’m going to give it a shot.
Today was a big day in my little garden.
I picked up more soil and a buttload of 1 gallon pots on my way home from work, and finally potted up my plants! A good chunk of them were on the verge of becoming root bound, so I’m glad I didn’t wait much longer. I decided to mix in a bag of perlite with my soil in an attempt to improve aeration. Hopefully these little guys transition smoothly – it’s starting to look like a real garden now!
Time for another little update. For the most part, everything is going well but the basil is basically all dead. Even the new leaves aren’t looking good – I think they were just in too bad of shape to recover. Fortunately, I do have one basil left in coco that’s going strong! The rest of the plants in soil are looking really good.
The coco plants are getting a bit yellow, so I think I’ll have to feed them again. I’m going to give them another day to dry out a little more, then I’ll hit them with some nutes…
In the first week of December, things went well for everything in the tent… except for the basil. Something has gone terribly wrong!
A Mass Basilcide
I came downstairs one morning to see that the fan that usually blows air into the tent had not come on, and that humidity was 100% in the tent – all the plants’ leaves were covered in water droplets and I think this may have caused the mass basilcide. I think the water droplets on the leaves may have magnified the light coming down from the COBs and blasted the basil, but the thing that doesn’t agree with this theory is that the tomatoes, which are taller, seemed to come out nearly unscathed. Some of the tomato leaves are a bit crunchy now, but I think they’ll be fine. The basil, on the other hand, will be touch and go.
Okay, maybe that title is a little sensationalized. This is hardly a smackdown – it’s barely a schoolyard slap fight – but I’m gonna stick with it because it’s so dumb that it made me laugh aloud when I typed it. Today I kicked off a new lil’ experiment in which I’m going to compare a 3000K vs. 5000K LED grow light.
Well, it’s been another week for my indoor winter grow, and things have really changed!
The tomatoes are going bananas! Or nuts. Or whatever food metaphor you prefer – in short, they’re hauling ass. It’s crazy how much they’ve grown in a week. Overall, the plants in soil have really impressed me.