Ordered lenses with COBs, can't find suitable holders

Have a COB question or want to share your build? All things specific to COBs go here.
maomao
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ordered lenses with COBs, can't find suitable holders

Post by maomao » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:26 pm

Being a newbie at this, I thought I'd use some nice lenses for the COBs in my new project, but didn't realize that I need holders as well. The lenses are supposed to fit my COBs (19x19mm with 14.5mm diam. emitting surface) but I haven't found any holder that looks like it will match both the LEDs and the lenses that I have.

On the lenses' product page, at the bottom it lists three compatible holders, but they are all for LEDs with different shapes and outer measurements (Vero13-18, CXA15-18 and CXA25-30) than mine (Citizen CLU038-1208C4-403H7K4).
It also says for the lenses that "3rd party 3-hook fastening solutions" will work, but I haven't found any holders like that...

I don't know if I should give these lenses up (got 4 at $12.5 each with tax :oops:), or whether it's possible to get a holder that matches the lens and somehow shoehorn the LED in... Ideally I'd like solder-free holders, unfortunately none of the listed ones are.

What would you do?

Jolly Green Giant
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Re: Ordered lenses with COBs, can't find suitable holders

Post by Jolly Green Giant » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:58 pm

I'm still a noob to cob holders and reflectors.. and want confirmation... but these might work..

http://www.idealindustries.ca/products/ ... =refractor

the 50-21 series is ment for any clu03* (30 anything including 38) I'm guessing the third party hook solutions are the white hooks on these adapters.. I'm assuming you put these over the cob and twist the lenses on those 3 hooks.

again I've never played with any holders/reflectors so I hope I'm not sending you on a wild goose chase ๐Ÿ˜
welcome to the forum ๐Ÿ˜

maomao
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Post by maomao » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:41 pm

welcome to the forum ๐Ÿ˜
Thank you!

Impressive that you could find one with 3 hooks! I asked the seller if they had any idea, and after searching for a long time they said that a part called "2213194-1" might work. But I think yours looks nicer!

Will have to watch a lot of videos on how to actually mount them. Neither the lens nor the holders look like they will hold the LED in place for me... :?

Jolly Green Giant
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Post by Jolly Green Giant » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 pm

from watching growmau5 I picked up to search ideal for cobs ๐Ÿ˜

I believe it's technically not a holder but a adapter... I'm thinking you mount the chip with thermal paste right to the heat sink... then line up the holes on the adapter with the heat sink and chip holes and screw it over top.. then twist on the lenses..

again total lense/holder noob but I think I'm close ๐Ÿ˜

LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by LEDG » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:54 pm

Jolly Green Giant wrote: โ†‘
Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:34 pm
from watching growmau5 I picked up to search ideal for cobs ๐Ÿ˜

I believe it's technically not a holder but a adapter... I'm thinking you mount the chip with thermal paste right to the heat sink... then line up the holes on the adapter with the heat sink and chip holes and screw it over top.. then twist on the lenses..

again total lense/holder noob but I think I'm close ๐Ÿ˜
The ideal reflector adaptors I have fit over top of the holders, so it goes heat sink, COB, holder, adaptor, reflector.

maomao
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Post by maomao » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:13 am

then line up the holes on the adapter with the heat sink and chip holes
Wait, this COB is just a thin piece of, hm, film? No screw holes, not rigid. I also watched some growmau5 tutorials and I believe for this type of COB, he held the lens (?) upside-down and placed the COB inside it, before fastening the lens onto the holder.
In my case though, there is no flat surface in the lens where I could put the LED. Am I still missing a part?

LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Post by LEDG » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:07 am

Does it not look like this?
FDA393AC-9E97-442D-BD4A-32F91E57099E.png
FDA393AC-9E97-442D-BD4A-32F91E57099E.png (68.2 KiB) Viewed 38 times

maomao
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Post by maomao » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:47 pm

Actually yes, something like that.
Oh my yet another part that has to fit...
But going through all the Ledil product search results for CLU03x, I found this which perhaps could be used without an adapter? People who have seen these in real life, what do you think?

maomao
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Post by maomao » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:15 pm

I think I found it, it's just hard to find and I'm not totally sure what it means.

On Ledil's product page for Citizen/MOLLY-W, it says "Connectors/sockets: Bender Wirth 433 Typ L1".
Bender Wirth appears to be a company, it has a product called 433 but the image looks incompatible. However at the bottom of the datasheet it has a link for type L1 and other types. The link takes me to a long list of other Bender Wirth products, and after skipping a few pages there is a "LED holder 4xx Typ L1, L2, L3 - the optimal connection between the different COBs (see data sheet) and the Ledil lense series Molly using the Ledil Adapter Clamp-VERO."

So... I think the link above isn't an actual product but a meta product, which tells me that I should use a standard BW433, and Ledil's Vero13-18 clamp, with my Ledil lens, for my Citizen LED. :roll:

Update: Contacted Ledil and they replied. BW433 Type L1 is a real product and it is required for this lens, along with the Vero clamp. Unfortunately Bender-Wirth holders appear to be unavailable to consumers, no distributors sell them from what I can tell.