Can roots grow upwards?

Get a hand diagnosing and fixing your unhappy plants.
kunkgrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Can roots grow upwards?

Post by kunkgrow » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:07 pm

I understand that the gravity tropism of most plants will cause them to grow roots downwards.
However if you had a pot half filled with medium and later decided to add it to the brim, would the roots fill up that space upwards as well? :?:

Jolly Green Giant
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Re: Can roots grow upwards?

Post by Jolly Green Giant » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:42 pm

I'm guessing yes. but not because of roots growing upward.. but the stem that is now buried starting new root growth where it was above dirt level before. I think it does it for support of the plant.

I've transplanted into new pots deeper than it was before and noticed roots the whole way thru top to bottom. it looked like new growth instead of roots climbing upward.

Ted
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Post by Ted » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:57 pm

kunkgrow wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:07 pm
I understand that the gravity tropism of most plants will cause them to grow roots downwards.
However if you had a pot half filled with medium and later decided to add it to the brim, would the roots fill up that space upwards as well? :?:
Like Jolly Green Giant said, I think that the roots will form from the newly buried stem, rather than the roots changing direction. Maybe that is the mechanism at work when you do cloning.

majorana
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Post by majorana » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:42 am

Growing with Blumat Tropfs I always get nice little mounds of roots pushing up. Roots go wherever the water is.

Jolly Green Giant
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Post by Jolly Green Giant » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:48 pm

ill have to watch for that! have yet to see roots climb and plug my blumats.. but yea I've heard of people having to clean roots out of them!

Helios
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Post by Helios » Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:46 pm

I have seen that too while using Blumats. I didn 't expect it to happen.
Looks like this https://www.google.de/search?q=blumat+r ... 0&bih=1344

bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Post by bvolt » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 am

majorana wrote:
Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:42 am
Growing with Blumat Tropfs I always get nice little mounds of roots pushing up. Roots go wherever the water is.
Can you explain this more? I went and checked out some pics after reading this... those root mounds are pretty wild!

I've only heard great things about BluMats, so any info (endorsements or complaints) would be great.

Thanks.
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...

majorana
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Post by majorana » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:32 pm

bvolt wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:52 am
Can you explain this more? I went and checked out some pics after reading this... those root mounds are pretty wild!

I've only heard great things about BluMats, so any info (endorsements or complaints) would be great.
I'll start with the first mistake I've made: I bought the Blumat Jr, or whatever they're called. Not without its use, but not for this purpose.

The biggest difficulty in the beginning: learning how to adjust them. Being a DIY smartass I tried to play it by the ear. It's actually really easy, and only takes 2 minutes to read the whole manual.

The biggest on-going problem: once every three weeks or so, with 10 "carrots" in my last grow, one of them would go bonkers and stay open, flooding the tent and draining the rez. My next grow will be half the plants, so I'm hoping statistics and luck will play in my favor. There's also a solution that should probably take care of this (building a system to maintain a constant water level in the rez), but I never bothered exploring it.

Why I love them: because my plants love them. They really do. The slow and constant dripping, combined with the structure of coco, in a fiber/smartpot, gives the roots get all the aeration they need at just the right moisture level. It's genius: the plant regulates its own watering. The more water it draws (the bigger it gets) the more water it gets. No over-watering, no under-watering, no batteries, no electronics, no pumps. It's genius.

And then, I love them for me. With coco watering becomes a pain very quickly without one watering system or another. With Blumats I'd only really have to go about every 2-3 days to top up the rez and adjust pH/nutes. And when I needed to be away for a week I jut got another rez, connected it to the previous one, and had enough water to last. I'll admit it did involve some praying that none of the valves would cause a flood, but I got away with it.

The only other watering/growing system I'd try some day in the future is PPK.

Jolly Green Giant
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Post by Jolly Green Giant » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 pm

I run https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQXFBWA/re ... il_0?psc=1 and https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LLOU ... QCYP8DNRRA with a 5gal bucket res 6' up on a shelf. 3 carrots and the drippers in 36"x16" ( 30gallon) no-till fabric pot... then I have the other 2 carrots in separate 15gallon no tills. ( I'm just keeping it from going dry so micro life that is there stays alive.. but one does have a plant in it and somehow it's going ok)

I'll hit 1 yr of use in May. 6 months in I re soaked the carrots just for preventative maintenance... I've seen the carrot mess up and stick open that Majorana was talking about once..( it's the one in the 15g with a plant.. just got to dry I had to re soak the carrot and pot..) it's been fine since..

between the 5 carrots and 60 gallons of no till.... I put 1 1/2-2 gallon a day in rez.. always checking/topping off as lights come on and go off.

I don't see the roots covering my drippers ( probably because the emitters sit on top of the leaf/mulch layer) but just under that layer there is a sheet of roots and worms babies everywhere!! lol

a flush valve at the end is always a good thing.. especially if you run foods/teas thru the system..

one thing negative I have notice is the brown small tube to the carrot wears out pretty quick if it's stretched or messed with a lot. why I have extra just in case.

by far the blumats are the best thing I have ever got for the garden!!!( well besides the QB's 😄) especially if you are a master at over watering like me!! 😄

majorana
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Post by majorana » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Isn't it funny that the one thing that's made in Europe is the least sophisticated of them all?

Rather than buy a kit I made a direct order from the Blumat site. I had a general idea of what I needed, and then I just added stuff I thought I might need in the future. That extra rez tap I had no plan for turned out to be a life-saver when I needed to double my rez.

I remember thinking it's ridiculous how expensive it is for being clay and plastic. But when putting that against how much time and headache it saved me it's probably one of the best investments I've made.