DIY COB Flickering

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
jonled
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi all,

This is my first build. I need to some help to figure out what's going on with my build please. The LEDs are flickering, check the videos https://photos.app.goo.gl/SpSXe1XDDLMTTmDf7
Here are the specs:
It's a Mean Well HLG-185H-C1400B, 4 x VERO29SE (3500K 80 CRI D
poke-in) with 350ohm potentiometer.
I've tested the potentiometer and the resistance seems normal. I've driven a single COB and it still flickers. I've checked the wiring and I can't find a loose connection (I could rewire it completely but I haven't had the time). I've tried a different wall socket. I'm out of ideas for now. Any help would be great!
WhiteRecluse
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Are you sure that the pot is 350k ohm? That looks very much like the rapid led 1-10v dimmer. If you are using an actual 350k ohm potentiometer then you will be at max current at around 28%. That means the full range of dimming is limited to the first 1/4 of the turn. Dimming will be clunky at best with what you are using as each little turn has a significant impact.

The rapid Led 1-10v manual dimmer or a proper 100kohm pot will work more properly.
Cheers!
jonled
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

You're right that it's the rapid led pot. The specs don't say what resistance it is, so I think you're right that it's 100k. It's been working perfectly for 6 months, the flickering started recently. I run it at full resistance anyway, and the flickering still occurs.
WhiteRecluse
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Those dimmers work a bit difference than a potentiometer does but they still work. If you suspect it's a problem with the dimmer, you can remove it and isolate the dimmer leads and you will still run at full current. If the flickering stops we can ssume it's a bad pot and get another one. If it doesnt, well let's not get ahead of ourselves.
Cheers!
jonled
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thank you, thank you! I didn't know how to run the driver at full power. The flickering seems to have stopped now and my lights are bright again.
WhiteRecluse
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Glad to hear it. Keep the dimming leads isolated, if you short them together it will turn your lights off. If you want the dimming functions in the future you can get another dimmer/potentiometer. Maybe contact Rapid about a replacement?
Cheers!