Now cxm-22 in magnum hoods

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

so im over on my holders. lame. think 50v over is really gonna melt em?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

secondhandname wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:35 pm
oh? i was planning to use 18 gauge wire. And i bought the cob holders cobkits suggests for them
http://cobkits.com/product/ideal-holder-for-clu048/
rated for 4amp 250v

18 guage has a 600v limit im reading no?

Thanks jolly, I was considering thin wood also, but i figured drywall for fare better if for some reason stuff got super hot and melted or something
I’ve seen a lot of wire that’s rated for 300V as well. It’s worth checking anyway.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

secondhandname wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:45 pm
so im over on my holders. lame. think 50v over is really gonna melt em?
I really couldn’t tell ya. That’s a heck of a lot of voltage though and that’s exceeding the rating by 20%, so personally, I would reconfigure it.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

What would you do? I already bought all the stuff so its not like i can just change a ton easily. The guy at cobkits seems to think its not an issue

Thanks for thw help
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

No sweat. I guess it all comes down to the risk you're willing to take - I'm sure a lot of people exceed these ratings without even knowing, but you can never be sure that you won't get burned.

secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

So hold up the holder is rated 300v 3a. So at 1.4a cant it hold over 600? I dunno i. Just gonna run it and place electrical tape behind the connection to insulate from any arc. Seems unlikely to happen anyway and if it did as far as i can tell the driver would just go into protection
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

secondhandname wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:19 am
So hold up the holder is rated 300v 3a. So at 1.4a cant it hold over 600? I dunno i. Just gonna run it and place electrical tape behind the connection to insulate from any arc. Seems unlikely to happen anyway and if it did as far as i can tell the driver would just go into protection
Oh, it's 300V? That's better. I thought it was 250V. The voltage rating won't change as a result of the current.

secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

No its 250 I dunno why I wrote 300. Oh well, I'm just going to run them and see what happens. Those ratings are often conservative anyway. From my research it seems, like i said, worst case scenario the holder arcs to the heatsink, perhaps melts the plastic on the holder a bit and the driver goes into protection. I'll keep an eye on it when I power it up, take temp readings ect and report back. The info might be helpful for others in the same boat as me.
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

cobkits guy did mention to ground my heatsinks. Whats that mean? I've never seen that in any of the tutorials ive watched/read and I dont think I did it on my last build
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

the chips heatsinks ect are in! just waiting on the drivers