Adding Blue and Red

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Breed
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hoping I can get some help and advice on putting together a new light. I am breaking down my first cob grow lights I built and putting together new ones. They are night and day from the blurple leds I was using
I want to build a straight 3.5ft light for my 2x4x5 tent. I have on hand:
hlg 185h-c1400b x2
9 Citizen clu1212 3500k 80cri
9 Citizen clu1812 3500k 80cri

What I was thinking is using two 1212 and two 1812's on one driver for the small tent. 170w across cobs. This would give me a little bit of play room to add some small blue and reds. I would especially like to add some red for flower but would throw in blue its worth it. I figure I have 15v left so can I just order 3 5v led's--I don't really have a handle on current drops and never came close to maxing out a driver. That would bring me to my last question. Can I max out the driver and run 3 1812's and one 1212 for 185w? I am planning on putting in a potentiometer.
I also have a 4x4x6 tent--my goal is to build two lights I can easily move between tents and double up in the big tent if needed
Thanks
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Unless I'm using the wrong numbers, (3) 1812 and (1) 1212 on that driver wont work, ~192V needed, only 143 available.
If you meant (3) 1212 and (1) 1812 that won't work either, ~160V needed.
Are you familiar with the specs of those components?
Breed
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I meant to put v not w on cobs—sorry. Thought I knew specs but didn’t. Just looked at spec sheet. If I run 3 36v cobs what kind of red and blue leds can I add?
Flexy123
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi! Do you think that adding extra blues and reds for veg and flower to 3500K COBs is worth it? Just wondering what your reasoning there is. I run CXB3590K and never felt I needed to add any reds or blues. Looking at the spectral curves of these COBs (and I am sure CLU is similar), they look fine to me and actually couldn't be better. Not saying that adding reds and blues wouldn't give you some boost for veg or flower, but I doubt whether it's really "worth" it...
Breed
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have a few grows of under my belt but still learning. I bought one of those flower initiators for my little tent. I have used it twice and not only do the plants go into flower early but with me leaving the reds on during light cycle I believe they are bulking up better. I truly believe the early flower initiation thing works great. Now having the far reds on with other lights I don't know. I meant to incorporate that into my question too--but as you can see I struggle with the light building although I have been successful at putting some together I am very happy with.
I do know that the high end cob lights all have some of the far spectrums and I know a lot of growers swear by having the extra light. If I had a few more V left on a driver and can add a few cheap led's and maybe increase my yield I would like to give it a shot.