witch cob for 100w usage pliz?

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

But you have to realize that such detail is highly subjective.
Factors include environment, TIM, heatsink shape, size, fin/extrusion etc. plus many more.

Sounds like you already had the information your asking for tho..

Running cobs @ 100w isn’t efficient to begin with. Read the data sheets, there you will find numbers regarding efficiency.
Vividled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Generally speaking 100w is too much for your average cob. But with the likes of the citiled 1818 which has a total max of around 240w you can still get awesome results and efficacy at around 100w. As that's still less than half it's full drive wattage potential. They work amazingly well with 180mm heat sinks.
grisbi
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Vividled wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:06 pm
Generally speaking 100w is too much for your average cob. But with the likes of the citiled 1818 which has a total max of around 240w you can still get awesome results and efficacy at around 100w. As that's still less than half it's full drive wattage potential. They work amazingly well with 180mm heat sinks.
thank you very much!
Vividled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I have some of these and the sinks if you're wanting any buddy?
grisbi
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Vividled wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:01 pm
I have some of these and the sinks if you're wanting any buddy?
yes !! can you tell me more about your heatsink, might be interessed!
Flexy123
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Yes I got aware that these Luminus COBs are "more efficient" according to the one or the other Youtube video - but then I dug a but more, it looks to me that this "better efficiency" is merely when you're driving the COBs at max. But who does that? I am driving mine (6x CXB3590 at 875mA *maximum*, and this only in flowering). And if you under-drive them, they are all equally efficient, and CREE maybe still on top still...
Flexy123
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

grisbi wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12 am
hello guyz!
im about to make an order for a friend, and he absolutly want cob solution!
i know pretty well the led chips market, but im not ashame to say that cob market is stoped at cxb3590 for me ( lol)
i know theire si citizen/bridglux/philips on the market
my question is simple:
which cob has the best ratio performance/heat management for 100w usage/cob pliz guyz?
ps:and i want something already "buyable" on the market :D
cheers!
Most "pre-made" COB fixtures I see are driving each COB at 50W. I wouldn't drive a COB at 100, no way. (For veg, I drive my COBs at 16W each!!)

But as to answer your question (not sure whether you mean a single COB, or whether you say COB but mean an entire fixture). The "best" and most efficient is a light with MANY COB LEDs (like CXB3590), which are driven with the least possible power/current. A fixture with only one or two COB LED, but driven at 100W+ each means more heat, shorter life span and MUCH less efficiency. So go for a light that uses quality COBs (like CREE, Vero, CLU, whatever), with 4x or 6x COBs, where the fixture gives as much light as you need and draws as much power as you want it to.
Vividled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I think some people.may be missing the point here a little, as a cob is a very loose terminology. Some have enough diodes to run very efficiently and happily at only 10w and others can easily run at 250w with appropriate cooling.

Led loves to be driven gently granted but obviously you start to experience diminishing returns past a certain point due to the initial purchase price of all the diodes.

Around half the cob's max wattage tends to give the best compromise between efficacy and initial purchase price.

As wonderful as top bin cree cxb3590 were they've not furthered their cob research in some time and other manufacturers have now surpassed their cob technology. Especially when it comes to the larger size cobs.

I have a full range of 150mm 163mm and 180mm cold forged extruded aluminium sinks that are fabulous. The 180mm can run a clu048 1818 at 110w all day long with amazing efficacy. And around 45c max.

I'm also hoping to get into stock some qb144 very shortly to go with my other kits and cob assemblies. They're an amazing cob replacement.
Vividled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

As an example the clu048 1212 v6 is very similar in lots of ways to the cree cxb3590 and has only 144 diodes but the latest clu048 1818 has 324 of the same diodes so is essentially more than 2 1212s on the same chip. Hence it still being perfectly happy at 110w.
Flexy123
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Yeah I am aware that since the CXB3590 came out, others followed and they may be "better". I also hear a lot of talk about Quantum boards recently.

But, then I dug a little deeper and to me it looks as if Cree is still King if you drive them low, and low and behold, there is even an article here on the site:

https://ledgardener.com/comparison-lume ... -wattages/

So the advantages of CLU etc. as it looks only come out if you drive them, what, beyond 50W, and even then, looking at lm/W alone, the numbers are not so overwhelmingly different that one would need to toss their CXB3590 and switch :)Just how I see it.