180mm heatsink

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
LosPollosHermanos
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Do you think that a 180 mm heatsink can cool 150w of vero29
I can not find thermal information for this heatsink
grisbi
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

i did try those heatsink on cree cob cxb 3590 at 100w and they were at 58 degres celsuis with no fan.
i dont think they will handle safely 150w without fan.
cheers
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If you are running a COB at 150 W you should really have a copper heatpipe system with a copper base for the COB to be mounted on. My other recommendation is to either use screws or a bender&wirth COB holder. A good heatpipe COB heatsink is expensive and it's better to use 3 standard heatsinks and 3 COBs running at 50W each, not only will this perform better it will also provide a much larger spread of light across the canopy
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I was looking at active cooling options at digikey, and many of them seemed pretty solid with 100000h min. lifespans... I was wondering if the DIY crowd didn't ditch active cooling because of the bad rep cheap chinese lights created?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Passive heatsinks are pretty cheap @50W and bullet proof. Things change really fast when powering a COB over 50W, it really isn't necessary to go beyond 50W per COB in a grow room in a small area. The problem is to do with spread. A COB just doesn't have enough of it without running special optics. So you have no choice but to raise a light higher to get the spread you need when running 100W of COB. If you run 2 50W COB lights you double the spread. It's more economical overall to run more COBs than a few big ones simply due to the fact you can sit them closer to the canopy to get higher par values.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I saw there were a lot of models that would remove at least up to 35 heat watts.. I don't know much about cobs, and was actually looking for solutions for cobs that would have run at around 20w each, total power...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"