Samsung LC080D COB why is no one else using these??

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
ΣKNT
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I Just finished making my first COB Lights. and thought id share what i did because I couldn't find anyone else who had used Samsung COBs. if there is a reason why no one else uses them i still haven't figured out why haha. so this is my part list..

10 x Samsung (LC080D) COBs: $170
2 x Meanwell PSU (HLG-320H-48A) $132
10 x 150mm pin fin heat sinks $115

the LC080D COBs seem to out perform almost any other popular COB i looked up. and i was limited in the one i could actually purchace because the one i really wanted yo had to buy 1000 of or something haha. I made it into 2 groups of 5 COBs for the driver so that it is drawing ~1.23A and has 50.7V actross each diode all being in parallel the specific COB ended up getting is SPHWHAHDNM231ZT3D2 so it is only Gen 2 but with all together according to Samsungs LED calculator

# of LEDS 10
ΣFlux 106,390 lm
ΣPower 625W
Efficiency 170lm/W

but yeah ive just finished hanging them up in my tent and im well impressed by them :)

Id love to hear from anyone else that has used these COBs before
Attachments
7d1befff-ee1a-415c-86a3-cb5439d9d978.jpg
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You set up looks good.
Although calculators can be used as a guide they are never accurate.
In most cases you need to deduct 20% from a COB calculator.
I have not tested any of the Samsung COBs but I doubt they are hitting close to 170LPW in a cri80.

Luminus devices has the best COBs for performance now days and I do not think anyone can compete with them on performance, you could find other spectrums from multiple companies but for raw performance Luminus get first choice because they are owned by the company that makes the raw semiconductors for nearly all other major brands.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
ΣKNT
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Its getting 170lm/W because I backed em off from 1.6A to 1.23A. And that's what I'm saying I can't find anyone who has tested them maybe they are better than the luminous devices ones. Samsung seem to have gone above and beyond with efficiency in their other diodes why is 170 so surprising? I think the lm301b was 230lm/W (I know it's not a COB but still) And my ones weren't even the ideal ones they were the only ones I was able to purchase 10 of instead of 1000 of them Haha. But is there a relatively easy/affordability way to measure my set up to see if it does compare?
Because I went through a bunch of different LED brands and the Samsung ones came out on top everytime. and at $17 each you can't complain haha
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You can send me one of the COBs and I can test it for you at the current you are running it at. That's the only way to know for sure.
You could then measure power draw from your wall to see what the driver losses are.
This would give you an exact figure
ΣKNT
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

What characteristics would you be measuring? And what would you use to measure it? Is it something I could try and do? I understand electronics quite well and can probably get a light intensity meter from work for a day (not sure on its unit of measurement or accuracy though) or does it need a particular instrument to measure it?
I'd gladly send one of em but they are in use as of about 6hours ago hahaha and probably needed for another 3 or so. Also I'm in Australia so postage would be a long winded process
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I am in Australia too, I have proper test equipment, about $100K AUD worth. I am in Melbourne. What others have done in the past is order a strip or chip from digikey and have it sent strait to me.
It's only $20 to send a COB to me, a lab in Australia would charge $1000 to do the test I would do
ΣKNT
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ah bugger I'm in Sydney that could have been really easy haha. If I could I would man but it was a effort and a half getting the 10 I got. I emailed every single surplyer I could find even the ones on page 80 of the Google serch that aren't even in English any more. Pretty much no one gave me the time of day unless I said I was a company looking to buy 1000s. I had to make a bunch of stuff up about being a business and that i intended to but 1000 of them after my R&D phase and blah blah it dragged on for months. And they are still bloody emailing me asking me where I'm up to and when I plan on ordering the rest hahaha. But if you're only in Melbourne I might send you one after i harvest this lot. You just need the diode yeah not the heat sink or anything?
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Just the COB is enough. I don't really want to resolder the COB so maybe leave the wires attached that you have already soldered. Better to connect wires together again than to solder the COB again.
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

ΣKNT wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:18 pm
I had to make a bunch of stuff up about being a business and that i intended to but 1000 of them after my R&D phase and blah blah it dragged on for months. And they are still bloody emailing me asking me where I'm up to and when I plan on ordering the rest hahaha.
Hahah :mrgreen:

This one is an interesting 3000K samsung COB I could find, in stock, but 70+ CRI not in the 80+ group:
https://www.arrow.com/en/products/sphwh ... lectronics
ΣKNT
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I dont understand why it's so hard to buy a couple of chips off a place that had them. Like they have em in stock I'm happy to pay a little more per chip but they straight up will not sell me any unless I buy 250 or 500 or whatever. No matter how much I offered to pay they would not sell me 10 of them. I could purchase a single 100ohm resistor for less than a cent but selling $200 worth of LEDs isnt worth their time apparently