witch cob for 100w usage pliz?

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
kmb
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I am running 2 Bridgelux Vero SE 29C off a meanwell HLG-240H-C1750B @ 120W each.

My second build was a LM561C build, imho they are cheaper then cobs. My issue with cobs were the heatsinks on the cob build were expensive, I went for ones rated to 500W from cooliance since over 1/2 the cost was shipping (I’m in Canada) if I went with smaller heatsinks and I just couldn’t justify paying more for shipping then the heatsink so I went big. Plus I got silicone lenses. That being said I’m actually thinking of buying a bigger driver and running each cob at 240W. I know the efficiency will be worse (144 vs 119 lm/W) but I’ll get some use out of the heatsinks and lenses more light (17,000 vs 30,000 lm per cob) and it will cost me only the driver or relatively little to upgrade.
Vividled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Flexy123 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 7:55 am
Yeah I am aware that since the CXB3590 came out, others followed and they may be "better". I also hear a lot of talk about Quantum boards recently.

But, then I dug a little deeper and to me it looks as if Cree is still King if you drive them low, and low and behold, there is even an article here on the site:

https://ledgardener.com/comparison-lume ... -wattages/

So the advantages of CLU etc. as it looks only come out if you drive them, what, beyond 50W, and even then, looking at lm/W alone, the numbers are not so overwhelmingly different that one would need to toss their CXB3590 and switch :)Just how I see it.
That test was conducted with series 5 citiled cobs. They are now a full generation on. I'd expect them to achieve an extra 5 to 7% more over those test results. Cree sadly stopped development of cobs years ago.
Vividled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

And having a good stock of both cobs and qbs I can confirm qbs are truly awesome. I've combined 4 x qb288 R spec on 2 triple heats ink and added a qb18 for good measure and Emerson effect. Then run the whole lot from 1 480 2100a driver. She's naughty. 550w at the wall. But dam does she put out some photons. That's a custom rig mind but just generally speaking they're awesome.
Also running some experiment's using supplemental uv with hlgs latest supplement boards. So that should be interesting.....
ΣKNT
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

In my opinion the CXB3590 are too expensive. I just made some lights with Samsung's LC080D COBs it has the same lumen output as the CXB3590 at 20W less power and 1/4 of the price. So for whatever your budget is you could buy 4 times the COBs, driving each one more efficiently making them even more efficient than the fewer Cree COBs. And it wouldn't cost more in heat sinks either, I dont see why you couldn't put 4 COBs running at 25W/each on a heat sink rated at 100W (this is just an assumption I could be completely wrong haha)
but I didn't see anything about the Cree COBs that stood out as being that hot shit at all
Vividled
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Great result the Samsung cobs are far better for price and improved efficacy than many rivals. Can I ask where you sourced yours?