100W COBs / LED arrangement

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

There was a point a while back I was thinking about ordering generic 100W COBs.

Here's why I'm happy I didn't: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wR_mFWeI6Y (see his 1st video too if you've got the time.)

It was interesting to learn a bit about how the board is built with layers. I haven't seen such a testing for my Vero 29, and wasn't able to find one for the new mid-power Samsung chips either. Still, I have a hunch that the way SMD chips are arranged/constructed should cause less defects of the sort you can see in the video, giving mid-power chips another little advantage.

Not that I have a clue, obviously, I'm learning new things from random youtube videos!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

That was very interesting. I didn't realize that you could get a resistance like that across faulty diodes. Thanks for sharing!

I think the COBs that we use in this niche have tight enough QC and tolerance that the series-parallel arrangement should not cause any issues. I have played around with super-low current and it's really neat when you can look at all the individual diodes lighting on a COB with just a few mA applied.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
PT Scribble
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Clive's video's are always nice :)

been watching them for a while now...
he definately knows his stuff about electricity