8 x 4 space - Looking to replace 4 x 315w CMH

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Huktonponics
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hello folks ! I'm about to embark on my first DIY Cob build, and I would like some advice before I pull the trigger on my purchase.

I have an 8 x 4 tent that has a 10 pot modular flood & drain system, with 4 x 315w CMH's in 2 x dual bulb air cooled hoods ( Raptor 8" ).

As my space isn't ideal for extraction and intake, and stealth / economy is my main priority, I've decided on getting rid of the CMH and building my own cob arrays.

I've managed to source the following and hoping I could get some pointers if I'm heading in the right direction.

I'm thinking of ordering 4 x of these kits, and building 2 x frames running the cobs in a 3 x 4 pattern. The CLU048'S WILL be 90CRI 3500k without lenses or reflectors.

6pcs - CLU048 1212 cob
6pcs - thermal tape
6pcs - Pre-drilled heatsink
5pcs - Wago 222-412
1pcs - MW HLG-320H-C1400B
1pcs - TOCOS (soldered) 100K linear potentiometer
6 sets Screws+ 7pcs Cables

So 24 x cobs over 2 arrays in a 8 x4 area.

Is this going to be sufficient to blow the CMH out the water or over kill ? I'm dyslexic and all the math and electronic jargon frustrates me to no end, but I think I've tallied up on the side of over kill in the hopes of running them soft.

Also not sure on what size to build the frames, as I don't want them touching the tent walls, and the fan / filter is at the top of the tent so I won't be able to string them right up to the roof.

I'd really appreciate ant help, it's been doing my nut in the last few weeks trying to find any help, and I've had enough of people saying " get quantum boards instead " lol I'm in the UK and I don't fancy shipping a bunch of boards from the states and getting raped on shipping charges, taxes and duty, then there's the warranty issues and return costs etc.

So, set on COBS, already got my quote including shipping, and will be marked down to soften the import duty / tax aswell.

4 x of those kits includes shipping, everything besides framework totalled $1088.

What you guys think ?

Sorry for the long ass post. If I've missed anything let me know.

Cheers
Hukt
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

swapping watt for watt with cmh, they will CRUSH it!! 600ish w per 4 x 4 is the avg recommend by most LEDers.... over kill would be dumping like 1000-1200w in that same space.

frame wise I use a 4x4 frame over a 4x4 tray/scrog in a 5x5 tent.. I'm assuming your shooting for somewhere around a 3x7 canopy in the tent, I would probably do two that are roughly 36in by 36 to 40in. just try to match the amount of space your going to flower.

I agree don't pay for the duties and taxes on the quantum boards.. but two weeks ago I heard Steve saying that they will have a U.K. distributor online soon.. so there always that to check into

oh yeah, welcome to the forum 😁 cheers!
Huktonponics
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:03 am
swapping watt for watt with cmh, they will CRUSH it!! 600ish w per 4 x 4 is the avg recommend by most LEDers.... over kill would be dumping like 1000-1200w in that same space.

frame wise I use a 4x4 frame over a 4x4 tray/scrog in a 5x5 tent.. I'm assuming your shooting for somewhere around a 3x7 canopy in the tent, I would probably do two that are roughly 36in by 36 to 40in. just try to match the amount of space your going to flower.

I agree don't pay for the duties and taxes on the quantum boards.. but two weeks ago I heard Steve saying that they will have a U.K. distributor online soon.. so there always that to check into

oh yeah, welcome to the forum 😁 cheers!
Thank you mate, appreciated. Do you have any recommendations on spacing with this many cobs on frames that size ?

Also with that setup I'd be running about 1260w wide open over 4 x meanwell HLG-320H-C1400B, will I be able to wire all 4 of them up to a Typhon controller for timing / dimming ?

I'm getting all excited about this lol hoping to get my current pheno hunt wrapped up by spring and have this rig ready to roll with some fire for the summer.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

most of the time a 10-12 in spacing is recommend for cob builds.. if you go father than that they start to not over lap the light.. going closer you loose the max spread and can get hot spots. what's the distance between buckets( the direction you plan 3 cobs/4' way of tent) can you get a cob above each of the two buckets with one in between?

more than likely yes you can control all 4 with a titan controller... do you have a link to the one you got/plain on getting? it would depend on how they hook up and what it's max rating is.. if you wire your a.c. power to it then no problem if it's got 4 inputs.. if you have 1 outlet it's not hard to bring all 4 power lines to one.. it just going to matter what that one plug is rated for and if the 4 320's are under that.

it's easier for me when I see numbers and data sheets. over me guessing by using common sense 😄
Huktonponics
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks for the replies mate, been a bit slack on responding due to being on night shifts. Wake up and it's dark, go to work and it's dark, rinse and repeat.

The missus hasn't got a clue what I just spent and thinks the over time I've been doing is to go towards a holiday, little does she know I'll probably be living at work for a few weeks now and will be expecting to go to the Maldives lol

I ordered my gear today, so it will be 7-10 days hopefully before I get them. I can't wait, and am hoping to get them built before I'm ready to flower.

The layout of my system is 2 rows of 5, so the 2 in the centre of the tent will most likely be getting any overlap from either of the 2 fixtures. I went with no reflectors or lenses to get maximum light spread, so hoping this won't be an issue.

There is 7 inches space between each pot ( outer pot ) and about 18 inch between each from the centre.

I'm going to leave the Typhon controller for the time being and just get some different potentiometers so I can dim each array at once.
Huktonponics
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Well I've had delivery and made a start.

Pretty much done the fabrication, just drivers and cobs to go on, then wiring.

I have 2 questions though.

I want to add some of the digital LCD volt meters that I see people adding to their builds, can I run 2 drivers through 1 of these ?

I Got 4 x 100k potentiometers with my kit. I want to use 1 pot per 2 drivers ( 1 pot per array ), what's the best way to do this ? Buy 50k pots or add 100k resistors to the 100k pots ? What sort of potentiometers do you use for this stuff ? Linear / Mono / Stereo / Logarithmic ?

Cheers guys, I'll add some pics as I go.

Huktonponics
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

So I mounted the drivers to the frames, these things are sturdier than I thought they would be., damn heavy too lol. I'm going to mitre some angle to cross brace the corners, and put some fish eye bolts in each corner.

I'm also looking for options for adding 4 more cobs to each array, and not sure what would compliment the citizen 1212 3500k's.

I was going to add more at a later date, but thought sod it, do it while it's down.

So if anyone has any suggestions, please chime in.

Hukt
organic.grower
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Huktonponics wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:52 am

I'm also looking for options for adding 4 more cobs to each array, and not sure what would compliment the citizen 1212 3500k's.

I was going to add more at a later date, but thought sod it, do it while it's down.
Do they come in 3000K? Just add 4 more 1212s in the different colour temp? Or you could always throw a few strips in between the cobs
Huktonponics
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

organic.grower wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:28 am
Huktonponics wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:52 am

Do they come in 3000K? Just add 4 more 1212s in the different colour temp? Or you could always throw a few strips in between the cobs
Im actually considering the strips, as Ive got 4 - 28 x 43cm spaces to fill if I want. Im not savvy on all the spectrum bollocks, If i was to be running all the cobs through veg / flower, and with the option to dim all the lights, is 3000k going to be worthwhile If i stayed with the same Brand / Size Cob? Ive been reading up on these " Meat Chips " 1750K, whas peoples opinions on those ?
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Looking pretty phresh!

*oops, deleted the rest** edit