Help hacking a perfect sun COB / optic 6

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that donโ€™t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Ls_Ls
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Does anybody know what chips I can drop into replace the old COBs?
I think they are cxa2520s run at 50w but I'm worried they are the very bottom bin.
If anyone knows off hand what I can change to get a bit of a better light I'd be extremely grateful.

Ls_ls
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Is there any information marked on the drivers? Weโ€™ll need the output voltage and current to do this the easiest way.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

LG replied while I was digging ๐Ÿ˜.. but yeah is there any markings? or can you hook up a multi meter to see what V and ma are... if they are cxa2520's. it should be around 36v max of 1250ma ( at lease that's what data sheet says is max)

also do you want something that fits the same holders and lenses?( those optics have the bubble lenses right?) or do you want like a vero that's a chip/holder all in one?( if they fit under the lenses) just got a re thermal paste it to heatsink.

welcome to the forum ๐Ÿ˜
Ls_Ls
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Wow, thanks heaps for the speedy reply.
Yep they are the bubble lenses, im not too concerned about keeping them.

It's the black diamond perfect sun COB LED.
Allegedly it can yeild 2 lb - 3lb pulling 675w from the wall...
That's what I fell for when I first started looking into lights.. it didn't take me long to regret wasting $1400aud on it.
Further research revealed it's made by "sun plus led" same place as the optic 6.. they look to be the same light. Just one is half the price of the other :oops:

I haven't pulled it apart yet sorry, I'm going to try get onto that tomorrow.
I think I was hoping someone had made the same mistake as me and already knew a quick fix. :lol:

I do have a multimeter somewhere, I have a feeling the drivers won't be marked but I hope I'm wrong..

I was going to pull it apart before I switched it on just incase there was any lose wiring.

I've got basic skills with soldering and I can use a multimeter well enough to get the information needed.

But I still have a bit of trouble wrapping my head around matching drivers to the chips.

I'm more than happy to ditch the old holders and chips in favour of a Vero, I definitely can use thermal paste.
Would it be worth dropping the bubble lenses to use the Ledil Angelina 90 Degree reflectors? (thought being the glass optics will interfere with the light quality even if it is a fraction) but I think they might get in the way of the epistar/bridglux diodes.

Thanks again for your help. I'll get back to you with some information and some photos when I get a hold of it tomorrow.

In the meantime, I've got a lot of reading to do on this wonderful forum.
Thanks for the warm welcome :D
Ls_Ls
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok I couldn't help myself.
Looks like they are all the same, it's hard to tell (for me) if there's separate drivers for the epistar diodes and COBs or if they drive each COB and block of diodes around it.

But all drivers appear the same, 30 -45VDC output
Constant current 1200mA

I'm going to have to take the heat sinks off aren't I?

I hope this is of some help
Attachments
IMG_20180211_173029_noexif.jpg
IMG_20180211_173029_noexif.jpg (4.06 MiB) Viewed 1629 times
IMG_20180211_172828_noexif.jpg
IMG_20180211_172828_noexif.jpg (3.84 MiB) Viewed 1629 times
Ls_Ls
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

If I had to guess, there's 12 led drivers, 2 fan power supplies? 1 driver for each of the 6 COBs and 1 driver for each of the diode banks...
The voltage seems ok, 30 - 45v DC to run a 36v Cree chip.. But isnt 1200mA too much to run a single chip?
Could there be 3 sets of 2 drivers in parallel?

I've got a lot more reading to do lol
Attachments
Pic of the front from the website
Pic of the front from the website
Pioneer-6-front.jpg (203.29 KiB) Viewed 1625 times
Ls_Ls
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Oh. They are in series.. I think lol... Back to basics
Attachments
IMG_20180211_192612_noexif.jpg
IMG_20180211_192612_noexif.jpg (3.59 MiB) Viewed 1625 times
Last edited by Ls_Ls on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ls_Ls
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Can you tell the model from this?
Attachments
IMG_20180211_195659_noexif.jpg
IMG_20180211_195659_noexif.jpg (2.55 MiB) Viewed 1620 times
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

That's insane that they use so many of those little drivers! That output is perfect though. That'll run a CXB3590, or Vero 29D beautifully at just under 50W, which is what most people run them at anyway. So long as there is a driver dedicated to each COB, you're in good shape.

No idea what model that is though.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

bah I hit the back button just as I was finishing typing!!!!! ๐Ÿ˜„ stupid giant fingers on a tiny tablet!

first off...great info and pictures.. you got what we needed ๐Ÿ˜. yes more than likely it's 1 driver per cob and 1 driver per epistar cluster ( 2.5v ish x 16=40v) with the smaller two for the fans.. and as LG said the range is great for 36v cob options( there's a bunch) we normally say 36v cobs at 1400ma = 50watts ( V x A = W 36x1.4=50.4) so your right were they need to be for driver power.

you might have to take out the heat sinks to clean them off.. ( It can be easy or hard depending on how much stuff is in the way.. you might get lucky and can leave them.. or you might have to gut everything to get them out)

I can't tell what chip that is in there... real Cree cobs have the model number opposite of where It says Cree.. to blurry for me to read.

keep asking questions.. it's why we are here ๐Ÿ˜ my other post before I back buttoned it was longer but I can't remember what else I typed 45 mins ago ๐Ÿ˜„ stoner memory..

on this link should be 95+% of the cobs that will fit your drivers from Cree... bridgelux(Veros)...Citizen and luminus.. I did a search of 31-38volts and max current of 1.6-3amp( basically everything that would run 75% of max power on your 1200ma.... down to maybe 30% of the 3 amp max cobs) with 80/90cri and 3000k 3500k and 4000k CCT. when sorting thru I would look for highest lum per watt for the lowest price ๐Ÿ˜ and this is just one place to buy parts... there's a good list in the general tab under where to buy parts ๐Ÿ˜

https://www.digikey.com/products/en/opt ... ageSize=25

cheers