Heatsink temperature

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Marc Fischer
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi everyone,

Just build my DIY COB led light. I used 3 Cree CXB3590, Meanwell HLG-185H-C1400B, 100K dimmer and the heatsinks are 140x70. The light is great. Last years I raised my peppers, tomatoes and Cucumbers with TL light. They get 3000 lumen on 20 cm (8") height. But these Crees do 22.000 lumen on 60 cm height (24"). I bought 6500K because of the complete spectrum. But now I have (i hope not) a problem with the temperature.

De heatsinks where 45C, and I did not even give 100% on the light (50W). I think around 60-70%). I did try to find some info on it, but they only thing I found,was that the crees may not exceed 105C. Maybe somebody knows......

I did raise some peppers 2 weeks ago underneath the TL light, and now put them under the cree's at that 60-70%, around 15.000 lumens. It seems they start to burn (the peppers), haha. So did saw some new ones, those will get the max from the start on.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

50° is totally normal for a heat sink temp at moderate power. Not to worry.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
The Big D
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I have a laser thermometer but usually I just use my thumb to test temp, If I can touch the heatsink near the cob and it doesnt burn me after a few seconds contact, I figure its fine. They can handle a lot more heat than most people realize...
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

The Big D wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:16 pm
I have a laser thermometer but usually I just use my thumb to test temp, If I can touch the heatsink near the cob and it doesnt burn me after a few seconds contact, I figure its fine. They can handle a lot more heat than most people realize...
It’s your literal rule of thumb
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:50 pm
It’s your literal rule of thumb
Had to a give a thumb up to that!