"Grow Factory"

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You might want to take a look at lightshow videos on youtube to get an idea where the industry is moving. Certainly COBs were the hot product some years back, but have a look at the solutions chosen by premium companies today. Not much cobs there. Throw in some strips and you have a light spread that works for fluence for a fraction of the cost.

In terms of the future I guess your onto it, everyone seems to plan on various gadgetry to be noticed. Peacock feathers, spectrum tuning, fades for sunrise and sunset sleep initiators, lots of net interface etc.
High CRI is another thing to look at, which might send you back to cobs. You loose bragging rights on lm/w but you enter mysterious sexy territory :P
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
kiwi-guy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I give up... peacock feathers?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Just mean aesthetic considerations. Things like sunrises, built in timers and adjustable spectrum's are awesome, I'm sure every one would love to have them. Somehow though I imagine light companies are focusing on them to take attention away from their inability to compete on efficiency.
I would love to have the functions, but I would not like to pay 1000$+ per fixture to get them.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
kiwi-guy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Grow Factory just became No factory. Someone has taken my wardrobes. Back to the drawing board. Thank you all that did respond.
Futuregrow
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Sucks to hear dude! Drobe builds are cool.

Hey I built a grow-factory style wardrobe in 2011, here are a few pics.

Design in 3d:
Design.JPG
Nice pine wardrobe:
15112011(001).jpg
Close to finished build:
15112011(003).jpg
More than meets the eye:
09112012(001).jpg
My customised 7 spectrum LED lights (back in 2011, ahead of the game!)
09112012(009).jpg
Large volume fibreglass DWC reservoir:
09112012(011).jpg
TEN Noctua fan rear/underfloor intake system, with vibration free mounting on custom laser cut bracket:
04122011(003).jpg
I didn't take any pics of it, but the roof section of the drobe was lined in black neoprene and the air path was a U shape to get out, preventing light leaks and minimising noise. You'll notice it's also dual carbon filtered, and was fitted with two four outlet SR 12000 800 lph pumps for the DWC.

The top and bottom sections were completely light sealed from each other, permitting the top to have some slimline fluoros for 24hr light, and flowering in the bottom.

Sadly I never used this setup and sold it.