480W Citizen's

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I'm envious of your LED gear budget :shock:

Here's how the voltage regulation works, and forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know:

Every LED has its own current-voltage relationship. When you put a certain level of current through an LED, it will produce a corresponding "voltage drop". For example, if you run 1,400mA through your 3618, the voltage drop across it will be about 100V. If you run the same 1,400mA through a CLU048-1212, it'll only drop 35V across the COB. If you were to increase your current to 2,100mA, your 3618 voltage drop will jump to ~105V and the 1212 would jump to ~37V.

Constant current drivers output however much voltage is required (within their rated range) in order to produce their set current through the whole circuit. If the driver tried to push 2,100mA through a pair of 3618s, it might require a voltage of 105.2 for the first COB plus another 105.3 for the second COB (voltage can differ even between COBs of the same model), so it will adjust its output voltage to 210.5 in order to push 2,100mA through the whole circuit.

This is the reverse of using a constant VOLTAGE driver with an LED. In that case, you're choosing the voltage rather than the current, and whatever voltage you decided to run the LED at will produce a corresponding current draw. Using the same example, if you were to set a constant voltage driver to 105V and hook it up to a 3618, you can expect to see it draw around 2,100mA, and the current would be allowed to vary in this instance, while the voltage would be the thing that's held constant.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
kmb
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Really nice looking setup!

My guess would be the TIM, I don't know much about Citizen, but in the vero29 thermal management application note (AN30)(pdf's are invalid file extensions for uploading), they recommend you don't use thermal pads/tape/foil, only grease/phase change/epoxy and they are rated up to 250W.

Will a single COB draw 480W in this setup?
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Wow. When the COB melted, did anything else happen? Or could anything else have happened if you hadn't been there: additional/complete meltdown, short-circuit, driver damage, etc.?
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
FilmGab
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Where you able to use the CLU058 at 480w watts without melting them? I'm looking to build the same COB and driver combination but for film lights. I'm trying to figure out the best heat sink option. I'd rather not use a fan because of sound issues. I'm considering water cooling with a thermal cut off just in case. Please let me know if you found a heat sink option that worked for you. Thanks.
tzdave
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

where did you source the heat sink for this project?
what brand heat sink? dimensions?
building a stage light with a clu058 3618...
need the exact heat sink you are using....
thanks....
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Be really careful using those COBs, they can cause a fire easily, definitely do not use a bjb holder or similar with them. Only holder to use is a bender and wirth.
I would not run any COB over 300W and even then it's risky. They must be mounted to copper not aluminum when you do find a heatsink.
It's better to use several COBs rather than one, hard when you are wanting to use a lens though. Lens needs to be glass also, it will burn through silicone and PMMA when driven to 300W
Find me on Instagram led_teknik