Now cxm-22 in magnum hoods

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Awesome! Having stuff arrive is one of the best parts of a new build.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hey just wanted to update in case someone else needed this info. I got ahold of Ideal about the cob holder voltage. This is what they said:

"Since you are running at a lower current there should not be a problem with burning anything up. However, we have not tested the holders for your application and so cannot guarantee what would happen if a holder or COB fails. Since you are above our rated voltage warranty would not apply as well."
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

admin wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:31 pm
Awesome! Having stuff arrive is one of the best parts of a new build.
No doubt. I get the text updates from the carrier and all that.

For me, at least, when I'd first open a package, most of the time - it'd be the first time I'd ever seen or held some of these components - COBs, for sure.

I mean, shit - I'm old enough to remember when the only LEDs that existed were used as power indicators (on/off-light, found on anything that is plugged in) - red. That was it.

You can be surrounded by the most advanced, jaw-dropping technology all-day-long, but still find yourself utterly amazed by some other technology, in some other technological sector any day of the week.

Man, the stuff I haven't seen yet that's out there...
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

So there it is. I removed the glass from my magnum hood and installed that panel into it. It was a tight fit but it's in there. Have an 8 inch vortex cooling the heatsinks.

So, I used drywall for the face and the angle aluminum to hold the weight of the cobs. Yes that's zip ties everywhere. Im not good at pretty! Functionality is all that matters anyway. I painted the face of the drywall with killz latex to prevent any moisture from messing it up. I used weather stripping to wrap the holes so I dont have to worry about the exposed drywall getting ate up or dusting stuff. Like I said its not the prettiest thing.

So i plugged it in and by my eyes it just didnt seem very bright. I broke out the lux meter on my phone and checked all my lights. The results at 2 feetish

1k hortilux blue--- 30klux

630 CMH-- 45k lux

728w cob-- 61klux

Also the cob stays brighter further away. I drop the meter closer to 4 feet from the lights the hortilux gives me 7k the cmh gave me around 15 and the cobs stayed at 30k crazy stuff. I realize its not the most accurate measurement but its gotta count for something. I mean its obvious the cob light is pumping out more light than any of them.

So thats that, 2 more lights to put together and I'm done. Thanks again for all the help
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

secondhandname wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:23 pm

So there it is. I removed the glass from my magnum hood and installed that panel into it. It was a tight fit but it's in there. Have an 8 inch vortex cooling the heatsinks.

So, I used drywall for the face and the angle aluminum to hold the weight of the cobs. Yes that's zip ties everywhere. Im not good at pretty! Functionality is all that matters anyway. I painted the face of the drywall with killz latex to prevent any moisture from messing it up. I used weather stripping to wrap the holes so I dont have to worry about the exposed drywall getting ate up or dusting stuff. Like I said its not the prettiest thing.

So i plugged it in and by my eyes it just didnt seem very bright. I broke out the lux meter on my phone and checked all my lights. The results at 2 feetish

1k hortilux blue--- 30klux

630 CMH-- 45k lux

728w cob-- 61klux

Also the cob stays brighter further away. I drop the meter closer to 4 feet from the lights the hortilux gives me 7k the cmh gave me around 15 and the cobs stayed at 30k crazy stuff. I realize its not the most accurate measurement but its gotta count for something. I mean its obvious the cob light is pumping out more light than any of them.

So thats that, 2 more lights to put together and I'm done. Thanks again for all the help

Awesome man. Can't say I've ever seen drywall but sometimes you've just gotta work with what you've got!
That's great that your COBs are killing it vs. your HID. Are you done now?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks, Im finishing up the final light today. (i built 3 of these) . Yeah dude, I mean I had drywall here. Its fire resistant, easy to cut holes, and the 1/4" i had is super light. I coated it with killz and the holes I coated with silicone so Its moisture resistant. The angle aluminum bears the load so it basically just seals up the hood so i can draw air through it. My second two look a little prettier, did better with the weather strip gaskets i made and stuff.

Its crazy how much cooler they run. The led hoods exhaust through a carbon scrubber in the room and it adds almost no heat to the room, where as my 2 1khps would bring the room to 90s easily. especially INSIDE the tent. I'm thinking of adding some of those new luxeon cobs when they become available someplace down the line.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'm really loving this. I should be picking up some chilled LED stuff this month once they start DIY back up, so stay tuned to my chilled thread over in MID power. I'll post some action pics once things start growing as well.

Here is one in the hood lit up

Oh quick question. I wired the 480 and 320 to the cased potentiometer from rapid. When I dim the thing all the way down the 320 strip of leds shuts off the 480 stays on. Is that normal?
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

When you say normal, I think you mean "expected" - and it is. LG has a blog post or video detailing dimming multiple drivers from a single pot.
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

secondhandname wrote:
Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:52 pm

Oh quick question. I wired the 480 and 320 to the cased potentiometer from rapid. When I dim the thing all the way down the 320 strip of leds shuts off the 480 stays on. Is that normal?
Do you know what the resistance of that pot is?

secondhandname
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

it doesnt say. Its the cased pot from rapid. I assume its their 10kohm joint in a fancy case.