Cheap flower initiation diodes (end of day treatment, far red 730nm)

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

A normal halogen light bulb has far more far red than anything in the visual spectrum visual spectrum is only about 2%.
I guess someone can try it to see what happens though with these IR bulbs
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Osash78
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:03 am
A normal halogen light bulb has far more far red than anything in the visual spectrum visual spectrum is only about 2%.
I guess someone can try it to see what happens though with these IR bulbs
Ok... now im confused...
Normal halogen lamp will do Emmerson effect?
Attachments
Halogen_spectrum.svg.png
Osash78
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Nice peak in the red zone...
But is all under 730nm enough small(weak) to do the job?

I'll put one of my ladies in 12/12 (13/11)* next week or so...
I will try this halogen induced sleep on this one plant in my small testing tend...
One 18W halogen will do the job in a small tend? 3 min lights on 7 min light off...??
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You need to get rid of the visual spectrum for it to work. IR is just heat. Cover the bulb in tin foil maybe. I might do that myself and see what my spectrometer says about it.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Osash78
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:08 am
You need to get rid of the visual spectrum for it to work. IR is just heat. Cover the bulb in tin foil maybe. I might do that myself and see what my spectrometer says about it.
Interesting...
Just thought... so the IR heating panels will do the job to? I know, noob question... :D
panel radiation is from 780nm to 1nm...
I have a 200W IR panel, and I wanted to heat up a flowering room at a dark period, now im thinking that is not a good idea... What will do 780nm-1nm radiation overnight?
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I can't come up with sources right now, but they use R:FR ratio in research. Twilight is about 0.6 or 0.7 and lasts 30 minutes. I commonly saw experiments where they use 0.4 ratio for EOD. So going 100% far red is definitely not necessary from my reading. It's not all or nothing. the effects of end of day treatment are plotted on a linear scale. I.e. an EOD treated plant will always increase in size; lower R:FR ratio exaggerates the effect.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

For sizing approximation a 25 watt led is equivalent to a 150 watt incandescent (6x), I would use something like a 150 watt incandescent in a 1 meter square area.

For general sizing on flower at 30 watts/ft sq. With a led IR you need 2.1 watts/sq. ft (this is 7% or 7 watts per 100 watts of light), but since it's incandescent I would use 6x that at 13 watts/sq foot to get a ball park approximation.

Like 0 to 120 says this would at the very least swing the spectrum into the right direction for EOD.

I am going to try my IR heater, but would only do it for 10-30 minutes at EOD, otherwise i think you might flip the plant back into veg if left overnight. Thanks Osash!
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I emailed Therabulb on their spectral distribution, they got back to me on the weekend..........working overtime!

Their 5W LED bulb wasn't too exciting but their 150W and 250W is the shit! I couldn't even begin to replicate this distribution with mono's.

150 or 250W:
Attachments
Therabulb_150_and_250_Bulb_Spectral_Distribution.png
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Found this link to a lot of useful info, pretty cool as he has a spectral distribution map of different scenarios so you can see how to fill in the gaps on your led build.

http://farmertyler.com/far-red-light
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Are you using a standard alum flatbar for mounting these to, or is it an extruded heatsink?
Swamp botanist by day... Bedroom botanist by night.