Cheap flower initiation diodes (end of day treatment, far red 730nm)

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

RadRiverOtter wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:21 am
Are you using a standard alum flatbar for mounting these to, or is it an extruded heatsink?
I used U-channel or U profile as they are called. You can also use L channel or "corner profile". I think these 2 types of aluminium is what most people would use. Thickness is 2mm
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

0 to 220 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:51 am
RadRiverOtter wrote:
Are you using a standard alum flatbar for mounting these to, or is it an extruded heatsink?
I used U-channel or U profile as they are called. You can also use L channel or "corner profile". I think these 2 types of aluminium is what most people would use. Thickness is 2mm
Oh nice. Thanks! Uchannel sounds easier to hang, and a lot cheaper than shipping on 1220 heatsinks. I didn't realize that standard rigid extrusions offered sufficient heat dissipation.
Swamp botanist by day... Bedroom botanist by night.
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

RadRiverOtter wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:20 pm
0 to 220 wrote:
RadRiverOtter wrote:
Oh nice. Thanks! Uchannel sounds easier to hang, and a lot cheaper than shipping on 1220 heatsinks. I didn't realize that standard rigid extrusions offered sufficient heat dissipation.
Indeed, it works pretty nicely. Proper heatsink designs / extrustions are probably superior, but it is adequate. The 2mm U channel does me fine with 20w/ft of strip leds. Most DIY light builders use the channels instead of flat plates. In my build these type of single leds get hot to the touch because I overdrive them unnecessarily (I had this driver already). If you run them at a typical 350mA I'm sure it will be absolutely fine on aluminium. (I believe mine are getting 900mA)
RadRiverOtter
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

0 to 220 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:11 pm
RadRiverOtter wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:20 pm
0 to 220 wrote:

Indeed, it works pretty nicely. Proper heatsink designs / extrustions are probably superior, but it is adequate. The 2mm U channel does me fine with 20w/ft of strip leds. Most DIY light builders use the channels instead of flat plates. In my build these type of single leds get hot to the touch because I overdrive them unnecessarily (I had this driver already). If you run them at a typical 350mA I'm sure it will be absolutely fine on aluminium. (I believe mine are getting 900mA)
Lovely. I'm phoning it in for my full spectrum (bxeb gen3s). I really want to at least tinker around with building a -400/+600 strip into it. Sure its probably not really that cost effective, but I like puzzles.
Swamp botanist by day... Bedroom botanist by night.