Parallel......

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Vagrant23
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi, first post! Great site by the way, I only wished I had read more of it before buying bits for my project .... I have bought an HLG-320H-36a, 4 x BXRC 35G10K0-D-73-SE. And some heat sinks.. all are now built and wired in parallel..... and only then did I start reading that parallel comes with risks!.... what can I do to mitigate these risks? Would a quick blow fuse on the hot wire to each cob do it? Maybe 3 amp? I am running the driver at 200w... or do I just go out and buy another driver suitable for series wiring? Thanks!
alreaaaa
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey man

Yeah parallel comes with risk they say coz if one cob blows, the other ones will get the voltage and then if your heatsinks ain't up for that kick in voltage, Cobs risk going crazy with temps and blowing .

but that is only if one cob blows in the first hand, if you have correct heat dissipation and handle them with care; they should not blow .

So if you really want to follow the manufacturer's recommandation with series wiring, yeah go and get another driver, but if you're short on money, you can go this way.

The fuse would help indeed because it would be like a firewall , if the first cob blows, the fuse is going to burn next before your second cob.

I can't really help you because I always used series wiring with COBs but that was because I did buy the series wiring driver in the first hand. If I had had a parallel wiring driver, I would have given it a shot ^^

I'm no pro and this is only my opinion, better get some feedback from LEDG or other people, but I know on this forum , some builds were made using parallel wiring, and I never heard of someone having burnt their COBS due to parallel wiring, most of the time this is because of the handling of the COB or bad heat dissipation.

Cheers =)
Vagrant23
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks Alreaaa!
Kiwi_Jezza
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

If you have a decent multimeter you can test the circuit and use the voltage adjustment knob to stop thermal runaway.

Then keep adding cobs and splitting current as funds allow.