First Build, Single Vero29/upgradeability. Help appreciated :)

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hello!

I decided to build my first light since all white growlinghts are either too expensive, too big, not available or all of it and the parts are pretty cheap and as it seems easily upgradeable. Total Noobie building lights and Electronics besides some fiddling and repairing wires and stuff.

Growing area is a small (70cmX50cm (roughly 2,3x1,6 feet)) open space on a sideboard for six litte hydro Chili.
For now i want to use:
1x BXRC-30E10K0-D-73 (3000K Vero 29 Cri 80) @ 37,7V @ 2,6A (about 100W or possibly lower Amps/Watts)
but i might add another one later on. Running a tight budget.

I want to use a Mean Well HLG-185H-48A (187W, 3,9A, 24-48V/DC)
If i were to add the other COB i would need 37,7Vx2=75V if i were to put them in series, right? Does this work well/at all if i undervolt and pull up the AMP? Or would i need another driver with 80+V?

So does this sound like it would work? Back to the drawingboard? Anything i missed or got wrong? Especially with the Mean Well Driver. As i understand it i can reguale Volt/AMP on the A-Device itself? I dont need a poti since i can rech the driver easily.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You would add another cob in parallel, not series. Voltage will stay the same, current to each cob will be half.

You would be better off with the hlg-185h-42a, no reason to get the -48. You'll lose efficiency with the -48.
kmb
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I did a Vero 29 cob build, and I’d go with a strip build if I were to do it again.

I’m in Canada and the heatsink for me was expensive the most expensive part, I ended up having to pay shipping and duty on them. If your in the US it might not be too bad. I ended up getting heatsinks that could handle 500W since I couldn’t justify paying more in shipping then the cost of the heatsinks lol.

That being said if your sold on COBs I am running two vero29 C off a HLG-240H-C1750B at about 260W at the wall fully cranked.
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:13 pm
You would add another cob in parallel, not series. Voltage will stay the same, current to each cob will be half.
Ah, thanks alot!
kmb wrote:
Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:46 am
I did a Vero 29 cob build, and I’d go with a strip build if I were to do it again.
Already got the Vero29, so yeah im fixed.
Fortunately no shipping/duty on the parts (to Europe from US, arrived within 3 days. Thanks Digikey/UPS!) and the heatsink costs half the chip.
Tassetapir
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

You kidding me? I live i Sweden and ordered from digikey, delivered by ups. I had to pay a lot of import charges. :shock:
Hyakutak
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

In some country, under a certain amount, there are no import charges :D (65$ in my country)
Tassetapir
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Well in Sweden we have extremly high taxes. And it all goes to the wrong things, but thats another chapter..
Kiwi_Jezza
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

How do you plan on dialing in 2.6 amps on that driver?
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Kiwi_Jezza wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:13 am
How do you plan on dialing in 2.6 amps on that driver?
Via the internal potis. Got it all together now with one COB. Heatsink is a bit smal, so it's currently running 35,3V@1,44A which is both potis down lowest. Turning the amp poti up to 2,6A works great, Volt goes up to 37V right with it.
Sure, the driver is hugely overpowered right now. I'll have to see how it works with another COB in the future...
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I believe you might have it wrong.
The HLG-185H-48A can only be adjusted from 1.95A to 3.9A. The cob does not limit itself to 2.6A.