Planning a COB system

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
leathaface1982
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hidey-ho neighbors!Ok I'm so brand new to growing cannabis, green isn't a strong enough word to describe my lack of experience. :lol: Now thats out of the way....

I am in a 32x32 tent. Only 3 plants. Started with an $89 'blurple' colored light. Believe it or not, it isn't completely terrible for me, being so new. The ppfd is a respectable 970 at 8 inches, though with a small footprint. I have been surfing and researching all along, and have finally decided to get some real lights before my next run. I upgraded to a 80CRI CXB3590 single light running at 100watts. With my blurple light vertically sort of filling the gaps at the bottom, due to lack of coverage. This will do for this run.

Now I am trying to upgrade without absolutely killing myself in the wallet. Thinking 3 lights, maybe vero or luminus? Should I try strips? What would be more cost effective? I am totally unsure about strips. My research has pretty much covered only COB. Can i get some recommendations?

Edit: Can someone share the formula for figuring how many watts needed in your grow space?

Edit: my main concern here is the most bang for my buck.

Thanks LEDGARDENER. You're a god among men for this site.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I'd suggest going with a board build like Quantum Boards or ChilLED pucks. A 260W kit from HLG would work well for a 3'x3' tent, or you could go 3 or 4 ChilLED Logic pucks.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
leathaface1982
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Ok i found a supplier in China that will custom make quantum boards using lm561c diodes. I am trying to explore cheaper options than going with HLG kits, as they are very pricey compared to some more DIY options. However, there are multiple specs that I am unsure about specifying on the build. Such as copper thickness, package, number of diodes, etc. Suggestions?
dik666
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

be very careful with these chinese board makers.
it is very known what they do quality wise.
I would go DIY path with bridgelux or samsung strips.