Thoughts on this ebay panel,

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
aulrich
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Does anyone have any experience with this panel, I am figuring it could power a space bucket nicely.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-12V-70W-700 ... 2749.l2649
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

For $15 you can get a really nice, proven COB.

Bottom line is, it’s a mystery COB.
Very inefficient.
COB guys will be able to give you more input.
aulrich
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Yes I get the standard eBay sketchy flag.

But after a little more reading I assume it the amps it takes to run is the measure of in efficiency,

Just following the rabbit trail a little further since an ATX power supply is set up to deliver lots of 12 v power how feasible would it be to use that as a power source.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

The amperage draw of a cob does not indicate its efficiency.
Like I said, For the same price, you can actually get a top of the line COB.
I wouldn't recommend powering the cob you have linked at all.
It's garbage, no offense. It's a gimmicky, clown sized, inefficient COB.
gadgetor
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Warm white LED's do not work well to grow plants. The cool white version of this chip would work noticeably better.
However phosphor coated blue LED's have extremely little Deep red the most photosynthetically efficient color. I
would recamend using 10% cool white 60% deep red and 30% bright red for the best results. I never use drivers
they use energy and cost money. Just string 140 volts worth of LED's in series and put a bridge rectifier inbetween
the string of LED's and the power cord. Rember blue, cool white, warm white and full spectrum LED's are 3 volts
and deep red and bright red are 2 volts.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Warm whites don't grow plants?
This is completely false.
gadgetor wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:09 pm
Warm white LED's do not work well to grow plants.
aulrich
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

As it turns out the migro youtube channel did a bit of a test and as it turns out they are not awful a decent Par/watt and tested at 3200k

aulrich
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

So the first bits are here so we will see how cool the heat sink can keep it at 36w
Attachments
84D001EF-D480-4078-AB9F-10663467E8BA.jpeg
ragnbone
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I'm thinking of a build using 5 of them in parallel. Powered by a cheap (£13) 150w ebay supply they should run at 30w each and not require heatsinks.
How is your testing coming on?
aulrich
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Still waiting on 2 heat sinks, I had some project creep It went from spacebucket to a 1.5x3x4 cabinet.
Going on the migrow and bigclive videos, my assumption is at 12v 3.5a (according to clive's testing) you will need to heat sink.

I don't think a 5 cob parallel is safe at 12v for a normal household plug, IIRC from my electrical classes way too long ago, a 5 cob parallel will take you over 15a(each light drawing 3.5a) and then you will be tripping breakers. But don't trust me on that.

For myself I got a 400w boost converter and I will just run them in serial.