Canadian DIY COB material list and sources

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

So if i may, either using the bridgelux eb series:

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/6236289

or the samsungs:

https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/6149742
(I noticed with these that there is no max current listed, on a 960 ma test current?)

I was thinking of maybe a driver close to this:
https://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mea ... nIfw%3d%3d

what would you recommend as a complete shopping list for a 4x4 tent including driver, wire, connectors, tools and what not?

not including aluminum as i plan to build the frame to my materials once i have them.

Also is there a video you could recommend for this particular type of build that i can watch 100 times before i start my build haha
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

You can use this tool to play with different configurations:

http://ledgardener.com/parallel-strip-build-tool/

This thread shows how I built mine:

http://ledgardener.com/samsung-lm561c-b ... g-touches/

For a 4x4 you’ll need a minimum of 1152 diodes (the equivalent of 4x Quantum boards). I’d get enough power to be able to run them at 75% and dim down if needed. The tool will recommend drivers for you.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

sweet! used the calculator and seems based on that and the recommendation of diodes you gave me im gonna be going with:

12 of the 4 foot bridgelux strips:
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/6236289

The HLG-600H-48A:
https://ca.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mea ... gcTA%3d%3d

for the aluminum i'm planning to use sliding door aluminum track because its what i can get easily and cheaply and has a profile that mimics a heat sink. Something like this:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=sliding+ ... iHiIS2t6LM:

Ill be getting these wago connectors that you recommended i should use:
https://www.amazon.ca/Wago-51043649-50P ... connectors

Plan as of now is to make this into a 4x3 frame with 2 inches between each strip.

Still don't know exactly what im going to be using for wire but i plan to source and price that once ive got everything else set up so i can do it directly to the build

Once again i'll be using this for a 4x4 set up and hopefully this can help someone in the future trying to do something similar :)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Ehhh, nice! FYI, Bridgelux JUST released the 2nd generation of these EB strips and they're much more efficient.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

How do I tell the different difference the new and old generation ones? And do you know if digikey has them and if they're similarly priced?

Also someone mentioned in another thread that the driver I selected there isn't constant current current? Is that bad?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

CBDseeker wrote:
Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:41 am
How do I tell the different difference the new and old generation ones? And do you know if digikey has them and if they're similarly priced?

Also someone mentioned in another thread that the driver I selected there isn't constant current current? Is that bad?
From what I gather, the last letter in the part number will be a "B" instead of an "A". Like BXEB-L0280Z-30E1000-C-B3. I have been watching Digikey but have not yet seen them. I actually just reached out to Bridgelux tonight to try to find out more.

As for constant current vs. constant voltage, running a constant current driver would require much more complex wiring (you'd have to do combinations of series/parallel wiring) and once you implement any type of parallel wiring, you throw all the benefits of a constant current driver out the window anyway. There are plenty of people running constant voltage strip builds now with zero issues and thermal runaway is a non-issue for these things at reasonable power.

And, technically, as soon as you drive these 12 strips any harder than 1.04A, that driver will be running in constant current mode anyway.

CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey again!

Been dormant for a few weeks while i got some other stuff going.

I wanted to write back as I'm planning to place my order for stuff tomorrow evening and when i looked on digikey i noticed that they had gen 2 strips listed but not in stock. I shot them an email to see if and when they're going to be in stock, and i found that it says gen2 in the series column in case anyone in the future is looking how to find them on digikey

I have 2 questions:
1 is a follow up to the last thing we talked about being the constant current vs voltage.

From your calculator and the build i posted. Is that constant voltage or constant current and is that driver 100 percent suited for those strips? Also could you elaborate a bit on what you mean when you say that eventually it would run on constant current mode anyways?

And final question is whether you plan to add the gen 2 bridgelux strips to your calculator?

Thanks for all the help so far dude, I feel like I'm gonna have to pay tribute to you somehow in the end lol
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

CBDseeker wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:50 pm
Hey again!

Been dormant for a few weeks while i got some other stuff going.

I wanted to write back as I'm planning to place my order for stuff tomorrow evening and when i looked on digikey i noticed that they had gen 2 strips listed but not in stock. I shot them an email to see if and when they're going to be in stock, and i found that it says gen2 in the series column in case anyone in the future is looking how to find them on digikey

I have 2 questions:
1 is a follow up to the last thing we talked about being the constant current vs voltage.

From your calculator and the build i posted. Is that constant voltage or constant current and is that driver 100 percent suited for those strips? Also could you elaborate a bit on what you mean when you say that eventually it would run on constant current mode anyways?

And final question is whether you plan to add the gen 2 bridgelux strips to your calculator?

Thanks for all the help so far dude, I feel like I'm gonna have to pay tribute to you somehow in the end lol
It is technically a constant voltage + constant current driver. It operates in constant voltage mode until the lights pull all the available current, at which point it becomes a constant current driver and begins to vary the voltage. Your circuit will be kicking it into constant current mode. Not sure what you mean by "is it suited" or not. If you wanted to go constant current for this build, you'd need multiple drivers and the voltage for each circuit would be getting dangerously high.

Adding the Gen 2. is certainly on my to-do list - I'm working on some videos right now which are taking up all my time, but I hope to get to it soon.

CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

By "suited for" i mean is the stuff i got form the calculator good to go. As you said it would be running at constant current with my set up but then later in your response you say if i wanna run constant current it might be dangerous to do so, so im a bit confused :(.
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

CBDseeker wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:21 pm
By "suited for" i mean is the stuff i got form the calculator good to go. As you said it would be running at constant current with my set up but then later in your response you say if i wanna run constant current it might be dangerous to do so, so im a bit confused :(.
Ah. Yes, this driver would technically be running in constant current mode but in a different way than a true CC driver. Since everything would be wired in parallel and the lights would be pulling all the available current from the driver, the 600H will be running in constant current mode at a voltage of only 44V or so.

If you were to use something like a 1050mA or 1400mA constant current driver (not a CV+CC driver like the 600H but a true CC only driver), you'd be wiring all the strips in series and that would jack the voltage way up. You'd have a total circuit voltage of 12 strip x 44v = 528V so you'd need to split it up into at least 2 drivers to get the voltage down. Even then it'd still be like 265V each run which is higher than ideal.