Canadian DIY COB material list and sources

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

found one at home depot here!

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.9-fe ... 10860.html

Don't know why i couldn't find this the other day.
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:14 am
You'll want to use both sets of black and red DC output leads. The HLG-600H has 2 sets because of how much current flows with that driver. Run half your strips on one pair and the other half on the remaining pair.

The other wires you don't need to worry about. They are only there on the 600H. The RC pair is for remote control of the driver (turns it off when you short the RC pair) and the 5V is a 5V feed to power other stuff. Just cap them all off.

You can get the AC cable unterminated on one end. I'm not cutting and stripping cords - I start with them in that form. I've seen them at Home Depot before and you can find them online like this one

Attached is how you could wire this with 5 port wagos. Right click the pic and open in new tab for a closer look. I know it's tough to follow but there's a lot going on and i wanted to show it all.

Strip Parallel Wiring.png

If you use 3 port wagos, you just need more of them but they'll work just fine. The 3 ports will act sort of like a T-tap and you'll need one at almost every strip except the last one in the run. Power comes in on the left, middle goes down to strip, power goes out to the next wago on the right.
I just finished watching your newer video: The LEDG Guide to Mean Well HLG Drivers: Part 2 - Constant Voltage & Parallel Wiring

and i was wondering something. If i use the 3 port wagos instead of the 5 ports in the diagram you made, does it replicate the issue you discuss in your video which says that the first strip will be getting the full current from the row or does it spread the current out similar to the 5 port wagos? I'm thinking it does the same as the 5 ports?

Gonna be building today as i had to wait for some thermal tape to come in the mail. Im using the blue half inch thermal tape they have on amazon. do you think the half inch will be okay or should i double the tape up to get the full 1 inch coverage?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I think the Wago is just a much better connector so you'll be fine with the 3 port units. I know switching to Wagos fixed Ted's voltage drop issue and he used the 3 port push-in style. I would use as much tape as required to cover the entire surface of the strip. That'll mean doubling up with 1/2".
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

built everything. Didnt have enough thermal tape to double up so hoping the half inch strip down the middle will be okay. On The data sheet it directly mentions that they don't need heatsinks and mentions mounting so im assuming it should be fine.

I turned all the dimmers on lowest and turned it on, it works! haha. Then slowly turned it up and holy shit does it get bright. I was not expecting it. looks almost like sunlight on the walls lol

While i was doing it though it did lead me to 2 other questions.

On the page for the strips im using it says the forward voltage is 44v, while on the driver the voltage is listed at 48

So my question is if i have the voltage dimmer up to the max, is this too much for the strips and will it cause them damage?

My other question, is what happens when i adjust the current dimmer? and why or why not would i want to adjust it? I don't see any visible change when changing it. I figure you'll cover this in your part 3 video of the hlg driver series but hoped i could get some advance info.

Thanks in advance, sir!!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Awesome! Did you end up getting Gen 2 EB? If you can confirm which strips you've got, we can figure out the rest.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

ya theyre the 4 foot gen 1 strips
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

CBDseeker wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:13 am
Checked up on this and you don't have to worry. In order to run 12 of these things at 100%, you would need 780 watts, so at most, you should only hit around 85% of each strip's max current with everything cranked on that 600W driver.

novadoc
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

New guy here, found this blog in a google search for COB builds and am starting to think a quantum board would be a better fit. how well did 12 of those Bridgelux strips treat you? i also have a 4 x 4 tent i am hoping to provide enough light to get through veg and flower cycles. Is 3500k colour temperature going to provide the best harvest? or would a mix of 3500k and 5000k?

this build intrigues me and i would love to see some pics of the rig you have put together

thanks!
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey!

This build went wonderfully and I built my last setup with the gen 2 eb strips.

QBs sound amazing but looking at the prices in canada strips makes the most sense for me by far.

Right now I'm looking at building a third light and am looking into the gen 3 eb series 90 cri lights. I don't know where to find them yet but I'm just starting to look for em. apparently the 90cri gives you plenty of extra red light.

If you look into it, let me know what you find!
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

LEDG wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:49 pm
CBDseeker wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:13 am
Checked up on this and you don't have to worry. In order to run 12 of these things at 100%, you would need 780 watts, so at most, you should only hit around 85% of each strip's max current with everything cranked on that 600W driver.
Hello sir!

Going to be making a 3rd fixture right now and if I want to make a light dedicated to flower, have the strips be 4 ft and be able to purchase the stuff from digikey, it seems like the gen 3 eb series slims would be the best thing for me.

I had 2 questions about it.

1. do you agree that would be the best bang for my buck considering getting it from digikey and such?

2. Would I still be able to run 12 of these strips on the same driver as the gen 2s? The calculator hasn't been updated for them but I'm pretty sure they would be fine? :D

Thanks in advance if you can help me out and thanks for the help in the past :)