Canadian DIY COB material list and sources

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello I've been looking around the forums for about a week and figured it was time to post my questions all in one place instead of going between threads and looking through some out dated ones. I have to appologize in advance for the length of this post but i believe if we can get detailed answers to all these questions this could be an invaluable resource to Canadians looking to create their first DIY COB set up

I have posted this exact thread to rollitup and am hoping that cross posting it here will help get the answers i'm looking for.

I got a lot of questions so i'll try to number them as best as possible to allow for easy responses! :)

1. My first question pertains to Canadian suppliers of everything someone would need to create a DIY COB set up. It seems that in Canada (according the the threads i've read) it is not possible to get all your materials from one place and further more that it is impossible to get extruded passive heat sinks here in Canada (although the latest forums about this i can find were dated 2016 so perhaps there is now?) If answers to this questions could be known suppliers specifying whether they have cobs, holders, reflectors, drivers, wires, and HEATSINKS and the brands they carry that would be wonderful.

2. I have looked into https://www.digikey.ca/ and the problem i see to them is that i cannot find any meanwell products on their site, nor do they carry ideal cob holders or large etruded heatsinks. This also leads to another problem that I'm having which is that for example: I'm looking on digikey for vero29s.. I search search vero 29 and bam i get this which is 39 results. Which of these should be using? Even im looking at a site for cree cxb 3950s i get more than 1 result and don't know which i should be getting. so my question is that, when i see several results for a cxb3950, which should i be getting?

3. https://ca.mouser.com/ seems to be a good place, that although situated in the US, offer free shipping on orders over a certain price and pays the taxes and duties for the stuff coming over the border. They have Meanwell drivers, cree cobs, have ideal holders,

4. http://canada.newark.com seems to be the most legit place that i have found so far and the most important reason for that is.... you guessed it, they have heat sinks. I was able to find the hlg meanwell driver, vero 29s, ideal cob holders, reflectors and heat sinks. So my question for this is, has anyone used this site as it seems it would pretty much be a 1 stop shop for canadian DIY COBS. although, the biggest heatsink i found is http://canada.newark.com/cooliance/cml8 ... dp/99R4726 one which is 80mm, although the best prices one i found is this one which is only 70mm http://canada.newark.com/cooliance/cml7 ... dp/99R4718

5. This is the question that I think would be not only most helpful to myself but anyone else in Canada looking to do a DIY COB set up.

What would be the best parts i should buy for a set up for a 4x4 tent including cobs, holders, reflectors, drivers, heat sink, wires, with exact brands, models, and links to those things. Preferable on the least amount of sites possible. It seems that Newark would be the ideal place to get it all in one place, but again, looking through the site myself I don't know the exact models of each part i should be getting. I feel someone going through newark with alot of experience with cobs could probably make a list of things to get for a set up from that site alone. My personal budget is $500 ideally(i could budget more if needed) although i dont think an answer should be limited to that budget as other might have a higher budget. I do think that a 4 cob set up would be ideal though for the average person visiting this thread.

6. If you wanna post a link to videos or written guides about putting together the cobs feel free to put em here!

Thank you very much for reading and I'm sorry for making such a long post but I Believe If these questions can be answered fully by someone, Canadians looking to get into DIY COBS will have to look no further than this thread.

CHEERS!
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Hey dude,

I'll try to bolster this answer a little more soon, but here are some quick thoughts:

- I still don't know where to buy heat sinks in Canada. The ones you linked are, unfortunately, too small. It's best to bring heat sinks in from the USA or China.

- For drivers, Mouser or Future Electronics.

- For Veros, use Digikey or Future Electronics. You want 3000K or 3500K colour temperature, and Gen7 or Vero SE (both are the same specs, the only real difference is how you connect wire to them).

- CXB3590s are expensive everywhere here. Bring them in from elsewhere and order the 50-2303CR holders with them. Look for 3000K or 3500K "CD bin" for the CXB3590s.

- Wire and connectors can be found pretty easily.

- I'll try to get to number 5 when I have a little more time but a good setup for a 4x4 would be 12x 36V COBs (Citizen CLU048-1212, Vero 29, Cree CXB3590, etc.) driven at 1400mA for a total of 600W. Or, join the cool kids and run 4x Quantum Boards or Chilled Lights or whatever.
Want to Support the Site?

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

12 cobs for a 4x4 eh?

I pictured 4 or 6 cobs, if i would have to get 12 i feel like that would definitely put me out of my price range lol.

I feel like everytime i start to invest time in looking into one type of lighting system someone brings up another

so whats the deal with the quantum boards or chilled lights you mentioned? what are the benefits of using them over the cobs or why would someone use them over cobs and vice versa? I'm almost tempted at this point to just going with ceramic metal hallides like i was originally thinking haha
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

also while i'm still thinking about cobs, what is the problem with using something like this:
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/5180236
or
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/6557094

with a heatsink like this? it seems like theyre made for each other:
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/4215386
or
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/4215388
or
https://www.digikey.ca/product-detail/e ... ND/4215390

And for canadians doign these set up do you recommend they import the passive heatsinks or just use local powered heat sinks?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

Ah, I thought you were after passive sinks. Still, this is a good find - the price is right and if you can get them with free shipping, that's a huge plus. Nice work.

You might be able to get away with 6 COBs in a 4x4 but you'd have to drive them at like 100W each and then you're going to need bigger sinks.

Use this Amazon referral link and any purchase you make within 24 hrs will earn LEDgardener a commission at no cost to you!
CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

So you're saying the heat sinks from my last post would actually work? Which cob that I linked with which heat sink would be a good match? If I can get them all from that site it will probably brig atleast a x9 cob set up within my grasp.

Also I am primarily interested in passive heat so is but if it comes down to it that I have to use actives because of the price of importing passives I'll just have to do it

And Thanks alot for responding dude! You remind me if the dude that does to growmou5e channel. Very straightforward and helpful :)
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

CBDseeker wrote:
Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:34 pm
So you're saying the heat sinks from my last post would actually work? Which cob that I linked with which heat sink would be a good match? If I can get them all from that site it will probably brig atleast a x9 cob set up within my grasp.

Also I am primarily interested in passive heat so is but if it comes down to it that I have to use actives because of the price of importing passives I'll just have to do it

And Thanks alot for responding dude! You remind me if the dude that does to growmou5e channel. Very straightforward and helpful :)
I dug into the data sheet a little further and if I understand correctly, those part numbers are for the heat sink only, and don't include the "Synjet" component that makes them active. Is that what you get from it as well? Those little Synjet modules are expensive too at like $30 a pop. Maybe I misread.

My pleasure - that's what this forum is all about. Growmau5 was my inspiration for getting into this hobby and I'm just trying to pay it forward.

CBDseeker
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

In the thread I posted on the rollitup forum people are suggesting using a bridgelux eb set up. Seems much more cost efficient and easy to make as well as doing just as good a job.

What are your thoughts on strips?
LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I love them. LM561C or LM301B is the way to go, whether they're in strips, on boards, or whatever. Even the EBs are great though since they're a little cheaper. The efficiency isn't quite the same but they're a great alternative.

The thing that makes strips expensive though is building a frame for them. If you can get 3/4" x 3/4" angle aluminum that's 1/8" thick for a reasonable price, then strips are a great idea.

LEDG
Site Admin
Reactions:

I'm running 1' Samsung strips right now to veg a few shelves of peppers: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=93