Series/parallel for cree XP-E

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Since I have some TRP 40w drivers, I figured I could use them for some cree XP-E photo red diodes salvaged from an old light. The driver is 7-22v, 1820mA constant current.

The cree XP-E is about 200-1000mA, 2.1-2.5v. Maybe 2.4v at 910mA , whatever. Is this type of wiring correct?
Thanks

Hope the drawing is good enough

edit: Actually, I just realized I should use like 8 diodes per series connection, with a maximum of 22v, to utilize the driver's potential better.
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You're on the right track, that wiring should work. How many of these diodes do you have? Adding a third parallel strand would reduce the current further and help improve the efficiency & lifespan of the diodes, and spread too.
0 to 220
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:50 pm
You're on the right track, that wiring should work. How many of these diodes do you have? Adding a third parallel strand would reduce the current further and help improve the efficiency & lifespan of the diodes, and spread too.
Thanks very much for having a look!

I have about 20, give or take a few, so I will do some messing around and see what works nicely. There's also some 730nm diodes that I could add for the heck of it. I will definitely take your suggestion to heart because these diodes burn out fast on the Chinese builds. I assume they run them at or near the max.

As long as this kind of wiring is sound, I'm good to go! Just having fun with it, there's no real goal here.