Drivers, Voltage and COBs

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
themilkman
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello to all,

First time here, but not the first time on a forum. I have done a search but I am not finding exactly what I am looking for, so if you know where a good answer to my question is, I would be grateful for a nudge in the right direction, otherwise here goes:

I have a grow light that runs 2 COBs and 56 smaller individual LEDs.

COBs have 90 Individual diodes each

LEDs have 2 diodes each

Each COB is driven by its own driver as is half of the LEDs (28 driven by one driver/28 driven by other driver.

There are 4 drivers in total. Each of the drivers has the following specs:

Input 100-240v
Output #1 60-90vdc 660mA constant
Output #2 12vdc 200mA constant

The COBs are generic 3500k junk with the marking CS-2828 (28mmx28mm...got that part).

The small amount of information I could find on the COBs is that they are 34v. Nothing beyond that.

When I test the drivers for voltage they do in fact put out about 100dcv when testing with a multi-meter.

I have two of these lights because one failed about a month after owning it. One of the COBs would no longer light up). They did not want the damaged one back, so I took it apart to see whats what.

Once it was pulled apart I discovered that the negative lead for one of the COBs had come loose from its solder joint.

My question is this: Does the fact that the drivers are all 60-90vdc at a constant 660mA make a difference when running 36v COBs? Specifically, does it matter that the drivers put out 60-90vdc when they are only running a 36vdc COB? Why or why not?

I have searched high and low for an answer and have found some information, but nothing solid and nothing comprehensive. I am hoping someone here can help me understand.

On some level I realize that the ultimate answer is...don't buy cheap shit, but I am trying to understand this configuration, because I would like to swap out the 3500 COBs for 6500k COBs because there is WAY too much red out of this fixture the way it is stock.

I would like to replace the current COBs with these: CLU048-1212C4-653M2M2-F1...will they work?

If you have the ability to explain in detail I would appreciate it.

Thanks to all in advance.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Can you provide a model number of the driver please, if you are using some no name junk put of China it's impossible to give you accurate answers
Find me on Instagram led_teknik