Noob trouble! There is power, but there is no light

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
Ilsignororso
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey everyone!

I have been engaged in a little home project to create a tomato nursery, and for the first version, I chose two COB LED units, 50W each. I also have a driver unit, capable of supplying 150W at 12V - the same voltage that's required by the LED chips. After some effort in soldering and wiring, I put everything together. When I plug in the driver, I have the desired 12.35V leaving the PSU, I have the 12.35V arriving to the other ends of the wires that are soldered to the chips, and yet, there is not a drop of light coming out of the setup.

Here is a picture of what I have:

The driver is an OPTONICA AC6114
The LEDs are 25x25mm, 12V, 50W chips.

I would really appreciate some help, if you have some tips on how I should approach this problem. Thanks in advance!
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Those big cheap COBs usually have a forward voltage of above 24V. The forward voltage could be anything but it is usually much higher than 12V
I would suggest to contact the manufacturer to double check the forward voltage before going further.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Sinfor
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Those are AC powered LEDs, known as driverless, built-in driver, Driver on Board chips.
You can see the rectifier close to the Neutral solder pad, the electrical shock hazard sign is also printed on the board.
The problem is that they come in 110V AC or 220V AC, so if you get the 220V version and your mains are 110V they will not power up and if you get the 110V version and your mains are 220V they will blow up.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Sinfor wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:56 pm
Those are AC powered LEDs, known as driverless, built-in driver, Driver on Board chips.
You can see the rectifier close to the Neutral solder pad, the electrical shock hazard sign is also printed on the board.
The problem is that they come in 110V AC or 220V AC, so if you get the 220V version and your mains are 110V they will not power up and if you get the 110V version and your mains are 220V they will blow up.
I didnt look all that close at the COBs looks like you are correct.
AC cobs are really dangerous
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
peterhend
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I recently tried to do something similar and almost deprived the entire area of electricity! I know how important good lighting is in a greenhouse. For the growth and development of plants in a greenhouse, special lighting is required, on which the entire process of their vital activity depends: from the beginning of flowering to harvesting. I can advise you not to worry once again, but just go to Amazon and order everything you need. So for example, I found solar flag pole lights for Halloween because we wanted to hang a pirate flag near the house. I hope I was able to help you!