CXM32 and Driver dillema

Discuss COBs or any other types of LEDs that don’t fit the other categories (Cree, Citizen, Migro, etc.).
ILen
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello,

After many frustrations and failure of numerous very cheap cob chips, i have finally had enough so i am in the process of completing a more reliable order for my system.

As i am still getting the hang of pairing cobs to a suitable driver i would be very thankful if someone more experienced would chime in on my selection (just to be double sure before i place the order).

2x CXM-32-35-90-54-AC32-F4-3 (terminated in series)

1x HLG-240H-C2100B

This combo should do the trick, right ?
Sinfor
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

It will, but you are going to get around 215W.
ILen
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Sinfor wrote:
Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:59 pm
It will, but you are going to get around 215W.
Thank You for the reply.

That is my understanding also. This would be my first build so i am trying not to spend too much on building my system, while at the same time i would like to squeeze as much power, efficiency and efficacy for the money.

My first choice for the cobs was CXM-32-35-80-54-AC00-F2-3 as they are the same price per chip but to drive them i would need HLG320H and i dont think i want to stretch my budget that far.

i got this heatsink which was designed to accommodate 3 cobs and some 100W "floodlight" chips laying around. The idea was that i would use these chips to start my cherry tomato grow then after i am done i would opt for a better lighting solution.

As with all *very cheap* components with sketchy specifications, the chips died (two of them barely survived one month) and now i have a problem in a midst of fruit bearing cycle which could have been avoided at the start.

In that regard, the initial plan was to start building my system with 2 cree cxb cobs (later on i would get the third one), meanwell hlg320h and drive the chips at 2800 miliamps.

As of late during my reasearch i found out that luminus cxm32 line is a better cob than cree cxb so with the global situation and everything i have decided to scale my lightning system around cxm32

Anyway, if by any chance someone has a better idea for a 2-3 cob combo that would reach closer to hlg240h 250W output power (eventhough IMHO it is not a bad idea to have some power headroom), i am open to any suggestions (though i think that options for components in this price range and power ratings are pretty much exhausted).

Thanks
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

ILen wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:38 am
My first choice for the cobs was CXM-32-35-80-54-AC00-F2-3 as they are the same price per chip but to drive them i would need HLG320H and i dont think i want to stretch my budget that far.
You could run those cob on the hlg-240h, the 320 isn't required.
ILen
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Shimbob wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 5:30 pm
ILen wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:38 am
You could run those cob on the hlg-240h, the 320 isn't required.
Wish i read your reply before i completed my order on the basis of the first combination. Im curious; how would i run two cobs of that model on 250W driver when the power rating on one chip (according to mouser) is 142.6 Watts ? Undervolting it ? What would be the total power rating @2000mA ? 208 W ?

It seems that i am not grasping fully the relationship between cobs and led driver yet, but in any case with all that; would it not also drop the lumen output per chip (the second cxm model got me interested only on the base of having more lumens than the 112W 90 CRI model of my order) ?
Shimbob
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

LEDs aren't required to run at any specific current/power level, as long as it's less than the maximum. The listed rating of 146W is only at the test current, which is an arbitrary number that manufacturers pick. If I have my specs right, the Gen1 CXM-32 is listed as having a maximum current of 3.96amps, and Gen3 is 4.4A.

At 2A, looks like you'd get about 102W per cob for the 80cri Gen1 and 101W for the 90cri Gen3.

https://calculator.luminus.com/
https://download.luminus.com/datasheets ... asheet.pdf
https://download.luminus.com/datasheets ... asheet.pdf
Leblanca
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

From what i heard COB (maybe all LED) are more efficient when operating at a lower power than near its maximum power., so if you use 4X 200W chip and you give 50W to each it will be more efficient than if you had 1 chip using 200W.
Brandonceall
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I downloaded the source and it looks really good; but it would not run out of the box since the underlying hardware is slightly different e.g. the H340 uses the ICH7 southbridge. I think this driver can be adapted to also fit to the h340; do you have a list which GPIO pin is mapped to which LED on the EX485?