First build, EB gen2, help with wiring

Strip light questions and discussions go here (Samsung, Bridgelux, Photo Boost, Growcraft, etc.)
eladmitz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi,
I'm planing my first build, and I'm kinda noob in electronic,
This is what I got:
  • HLG-60H-C350A
  • 8x BXEB-L0280Z-35E1000-C-B3
I have this wire:
Solid-Core Wire, 22AWG - https://www.adafruit.com/product/2989

In series wiring, is this wire good enough, or I will need to get 18/20awg?
And another question, I've been told that series wiring is kind of dangerous, and it's safer to go parallel, is that true and it's better to get another driver?

Thank you very much, this forum is the best!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

welcome to the forum first off..

yes, they say series is more dangerous since your adding the voltages up... but staying under 250v ( your around 156v) it's no problem... most connections are rated at 300v... I ran 250v+ with my first quantum board build for over a year with no problem... just make sure your fixture is grounded... by either mounting the driver to the framework... or if your running it remote, run a ground wire from the driver to the frame along with your dc + and -.

22awg will fit with the connectors and work fine for short distance connections... we just normally recommend 18 awg solid core or bigger for less voltage drop over a longer distance..

if you do run remote driver I would grab some 16 awg or 18 awg to go from driver to framework.. the 22 awg from where that comes to frame, going to the strips is fine..

again welcome to the forum ๐Ÿ˜

p.s. running strips at a constant current ( in series) is actually better for them... but running in parallel, you can add more strips/boards to the same driver to get better efficacy.. why it's "6 of one, half dozen of the other" ๐Ÿ˜ when it comes to series vrs parallel ๐Ÿ˜ it's preference ๐Ÿ˜
eladmitz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thank u very much, that's very helpful.
And thanks for the welcome greeting,
In my language we have a greeting back for welcoming but Im not sure in english :) so, have a good one!