Or_Gro and the epic smackdown

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

norml56 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:05 am
I know this is dedicated to LED but the 315watt CMH is a great addition to a LED lit garden ;) I just picked up a 4100k bulb to see how it does alongside the 2700 k QB 288's I was running a 3100k CMH prior and it was doing great but wanted a more blue-leaning spectrum and the bulb was running on 2 years old.
You’re cool man...

@Prawn Connery posted a similar build: http://ledgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=4442
Frank Cannon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

OG, how long do you typically veg a smack down?

Is there any topping or just tuition to grow where you want?

Looks like the 288s have an early lead..
FC
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Frank Cannon wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:22 am
OG, how long do you typically veg a smack down?

Is there any topping or just tuition to grow where you want?
FC
Hey man, back from the beer shoppe already?

I always get asked the veg question, and don’t know how to answer.

I typically let a seedling get 6 node pairs (clones maybe less, if they look strong), then top at third true node pair (cotyledon doesn’t count as s node pair, can’t put out laterals).

Depending on strength of plant and how fast it’s growing relative to others, i remove growing tips on 1st and 2nd true node pairs (can leave fans on to provide some photosynthesis) or i remove tips from 1st node pair and cut off 3rd node pair.

I let the 2 laterals grow out at least 4 node pairs and top at third, remove growing tips on 1st and 2nd node pairs.

I let the 4 new laterals grow out at least 4 node pairs, and top at the 3rd node pait, then remove growing tips on 1st and second node pairs.

All the while, i train the mains flat. After 3rd & final topping (for 8 mains), i let the new tips go vertical to my 12:12 height (usually 12” above bucket lid). This part i think of as true veg, everything before as training.

Seed to 6 node pairs is about 25-30 days. A healthy plant at training stage can put out a new node pair every 3 days. So, from 1st to 3rd topping (8 node pairs) is about 24 days. Assume at least another 14 days of vertical growth to 12:12 height. 63-68 days seed to 12:12, at best.

Great tutorial here:
https://www.growweedeasy.com/mainlining-nugbuckets

I use this method to build the plumbing for a plant, i don’t necessarily grow the tops like nugbuckets. He seemed more interested in pretty donkey dicks, i have learned you can get better yields by dealing with the tops based on the plants natural type of structure.
Indica-like plants fit well with nugbuckets’ approach. But bushy and sativa-like plants yield more with diff training of tops

I am narrowing in on how many tops to grow on these.

The timber 48sams grow (threads on both gc and riu) was about 18 tops per plant and yielded about 4lbs (~1 lb per plant):
4129E796-3A8E-41FE-8396-EC6476595D0F.jpeg
Last grow, each plant had 60-70 tops, and yielded about 3lbs per 4x4 (3/4 lb per plant):
791EB02B-5C5C-439B-AE43-5C801DE28762.jpeg
CB89A398-2F61-4EAE-AB5F-9FB0B59E69C4.jpeg

Lemme know what else i can explain.

Current grow, 288 tent got luck of the draw, as to which plants went where; prawns next; 96 got worst picks. I’m hoping to even this all out by 12:12, tho....

[Btw, plants were assigned to each tent by overall plant size; which i tried to even out among tents. The uneveness between tents, at the moment, has more to do with the condition of the 3rd/2nd node pairs at time of topping. That’s the luck of the draw part.]
Last edited by Or_Gro on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Frank Cannon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Nice mate thankyou, that's actually a lot for my pea brain to take in in 1 sess, let me have a read of that link you posted as well and I'll come back to you, I need to get my head around this nodes, true nodes thing a bit better as well. I am plsd this smackdown is with clones so I can see the diff from seeds and your manifolding technique. Man, stop posting pics like that, just shows how far I still have to go.......

Actually on the return to the pool from the beer shop I stumbled across some Aperol and Proscecco, so its looking like Aperol Spritz for our afternoon cocktails today, possibly a heart starter Bingtang at lunch :twisted:

Yes, as we know a lille headstart now really does not make much difference to the final results, its a marathon not a 400yd dash.
FC
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Frank Cannon wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:56 am
Nice mate thankyou, that's actually a lot for my pea brain to take in in 1 sess, let me have a read of that link you posted as well and I'll come back to you, I need to get my head around this nodes, true nodes thing a bit better as well. I am plsd this smackdown is with clones so I can see the diff from seeds and your manifolding technique. Man, stop posting pics like that, just shows how far I still have to go.......

Actually on the return to the pool from the beer shop I stumbled across some Aperol and Proscecco, so its looking like Aperol Spritz for our afternoon cocktails today, possibly a heart starter Bingtang at lunch :twisted:

Yes, as we know a lille headstart now really does not make much difference to the final results, its a marathon not a 400yd dash.
FC
Enjoy your getaway man....savor it for a rainy day...
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Do you think the size of the trunk makes a big difference? I have told people a few times that I believe without a wide trunk to suck through water and nutrients it can only go so far but then they show me big results with tiny trucks so I don't know who is right or wrong
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha TEKNIK & I think stem size has more to do with genetics, container and root size. We did studies on transplanted city street trees years ago. Unstaked trees had stronger stems and better overall growth compared to the pampered usual method using steel and wooden stakes. Size always matters?
Randomblame
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

TEKNIK wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:41 am
Do you think the size of the trunk makes a big difference? I have told people a few times that I believe without a wide trunk to suck through water and nutrients it can only go so far but then they show me big results with tiny trucks so I don't know who is right or wrong
How thick the main trunk finally gets depends mostly on gentics and how long you keep that plant in veg.
I don't think the diameter has an effect on how much water the plants can take up. This depends more on the root system.
Indika's have usually a trunk with more diameter compared to pure sativa's. But a thinner trunk does not mean that there is a bottleneck that limits the flow of water. Therefor the water is simply not sucked up fast enough.
Actually I prefer thinner trunks and branches cuz then there are also thinner twigs inside the buds resulting in better flower to stem ratio. For the same reason I prefer a high flower to leaf ratio.
Frank Cannon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thats a seriously good link OG!!
To clarify before the Aperol effect hits - a node is each new point of growth on the main stem yes? So pic below is 2 nodes at topping point?
top-to-3rd-node-sm.jpg
On ya cuzzy, if work permits I'll try a manifold vs my top everything that gets taller method (if thats even a method :roll: )
Randomblame
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Frank Cannon wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:08 am
Thats a seriously good link OG!!
To clarify before the Aperol effect hits - a node is each new point of growth on the main stem yes? So pic below is 2 nodes at topping point?
top-to-3rd-node-sm.jpg

On ya cuzzy, if work permits I'll try a manifold vs my top everything that gets taller method (if thats even a method :roll: )
Yupp, nodes are the knots holding the twigs and internodes are the parts between two knots.