Or_Gro’s tiny clone-off

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Frank Cannon wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:40 am
Looks like you learn faster than me!
I’m still learning....
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Day 6: Appears to be small spots of callus forming on cuttings in all three buckets, slightly more in hi-temp bucket....
CB5E185D-6213-4F50-89CB-AF664307E93D.jpeg
Randomblame
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hmm! I've never seen such a recommendation for misters. Must be a special membrane, lol!
When you use tap water or mineral water and it gets misted all the minerals in the water will leave a white layer on every surface as soon as the misted water dries. The minerals (calcium, mangesium, aso)will also clog up the carbon filters pretty fast and you also have to clean the membrane more often to avoid damage.
Don't know if its really something special but no matter what they recommend I would only use pure water!

Do they sell replacement membranes separately? Maybe they just try to sell more of them and give false recommendation.
Any content added to pure water has negative effects on the used piezo membranes; at least on the standard metal membranes. That's a fact! The minerals also leave a layer on the membrane and it can no longer swing freely. Result is they break faster!
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Randomblame wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:07 am
Hmm! I've never seen such a recommendation for misters. Must be a special membrane, lol!
When you use tap water or mineral water and it gets misted all the minerals in the water will leave a white layer on every surface as soon as the misted water dries. The minerals (calcium, mangesium, aso)will also clog up the carbon filters pretty fast and you also have to clean the membrane more often to avoid damage.
Don't know if its really something special but no matter what they recommend I would only use pure water!

Do they sell replacement membranes separately? Maybe they just try to sell more of them and give false recommendation.
Any content added to pure water has negative effects on the used piezo membranes; at least on the standard metal membranes. That's a fact! The minerals also leave a layer on the membrane and it can no longer swing freely. Result is they break faster!
Well, ro/distilled water reduces/eliminates the mist in the ones i have... so seems like, f’d if you do/don’t use ro/distilled water.

As i mentioned, lots of discussion on the web about some ultrasonics not producing mist when using ro/distilled water...
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Day 7: Not seeing much diff between the buckets yet....
8DCA2345-2DAD-47FD-838E-ED5D0E715B73.jpeg
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Day 8:
783F1DE5-6002-49DD-8FC7-3A9AD83B8D8A.jpeg
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Day 9: Starting to conclude that Amnesia OG cuttings are slow/difficult to root...two apparent casualties; one in the lower temp-gff bucket, one in the higher temp-sterile bucket.
6C461064-699F-474B-B8F0-514383510870.jpeg

I have never lost a cutting before, using aerocloners, so 2 in separate buckets is significant.
melissaward
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

It would appear that a strong form. Siphons looks practically over speed, could a lot of water weight on those roots become a factor?
Randomblame
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Or_Gro wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:37 pm
Day 9: Starting to conclude that Amnesia OG cuttings are slow/difficult to root...two apparent casualties; one in the lower temp-gff bucket, one in the higher temp-sterile bucket.

6C461064-699F-474B-B8F0-514383510870.jpeg

I have never lost a cutting before, using aerocloners, so 2 in separate buckets is significant.
Yeah, some rare strains seems not to like it! I've made the same experience a few times.
Sometimes it also happens with young mother plants and it gets better when they get older. Auxin has also a negative effect and needs to be removed before roots starts to form. Therefor cuttings taken from the lower area of the plant root much faster like cutting taken from the upper plant area. Cuts from the lowest area root up to two times faster cause there is almost no auxin stored in the leaves.
A high nitrogene content inside the leaves also has a negative effect(dark green leaves) and I know growers who spray a few times with ph'ed water to wash some of it out a few days before they cut a new batch of cuttings. They cut when the leaves are visible brighter. Try it and spray up to 3 times the day for 2-3 days before you cut the next batch. That's enough to see the difference! Only make sure there is good air movement and the water evaporates fast; you don't want to weaken the leaf surfaces. That can end up with a PM infection..

All this can affect the rooting process and has nothing to do with the conditions in your cloner. If the other clones behave better it must have another reason. Probably its a combo of high N and auxin content and genetic and it gets better when the strain is a little older. For the rooting process its better to keep the mother at a lower nutrient level. The faster the stored nutes are used the higher the pressure to form roots.