Advice

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

SMC85 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:30 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:31 pm
I've bumped into auto seeds that would not germinate well without being frozen first. I bumped into others that I could not germinate for a few weeks, but a month later I saw they sprouted in the abandoned pots. Usually I have pretty good success, but there are huge differences in seeds. Some stains have a reputation for various issues.

Some issues can be from weak genes, but actually they can come from strong genes too. Sometimes a tough shell is a problem for an anxious person, but I just threw the same seeds on the ground and they sprouted on their own. With the particular strain people recommended using a little sand paper to get it started.
I'm hoping they are good was wondering if you or anyone could tell me this

If you get seeds from weak bud if you get the seeds and plant them could they come out good
With weak bud, do you mean not intoxicating, or do you mean a plant that has weak genetics for growing?

I'm afraid you will not get a definitive answer on the source of your problem. Brings to mind a breeder thread I read a while back, where the breeder sent a bunch of seeds to perhaps 20 growers he had selected by their amazing grow reports. In that context (when 20 experienced growers struggle with the same seeds) it was easier to get a picture on what was going on. When its just you its easy to blame the seeds... no shortage on forums. When you are on a public platform and 19 others are germinating the same seeds, suddenly it becomes impossible to just blame the genetics. In this case the seeds were hard to get to open - and about half the growers still got almost full germination rates through various types of gadgetry. The other half got poor germination rates, from extremely desirable seed.
Since these guys were breeders, the guys who 'tricked' the seeds to open had more choice on phenotype. The guys with low germination rates felt they failed, but I think they just created a bottle neck in the breeding program... their offspring likely germinated better, since they only used the seeds that came easy.

Right now I'm germinating one bernies cookies kush, and I was wondering why I did not raise. I wanted to blame bernie, but after inspection it seems I'm to blame. I used peat that has large and long fibers, and the germinated seed could not push its way through. I never used a special soil for germinating, and that alone is a big deal for some strains...
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

sdfoster22 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:01 pm
SMC85 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:21 pm
sdfoster22 wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:24 pm
With my method, I had 5 out of 6 germ. Here is some plants I have started for the greenhouse run. All autos.

Dinafem cheese xxl
0602182206a.jpg

Flash seeds white sirius auto
0602182206b.jpg

Lineage genetics amnesia auto
0605182006.jpg

These were taken a week or so ago. They are a little bigger now.
How is it running autos been thinking about trying them out is the potency still good heard it can be lower kind of was wondering if this is true
It all depends on genetics, they have come a long way. Also it depends on climate, and how you run them. Just do research on which strains and genetics produce the higher quality. That's what I've been doing.
I have not tried many commercial strains of autos. I tried Amnesia xxl and must say I was positively surprised by yield and quality. Then I grew a couple of lsd-25 from fast buds, and was not impressed. Now I tried germinating one gorilla glue and one blackberry from fastbuds and the GG is malformed, which in Autos suggests it will fail.

I have been dying to try some strains from stich, I think he breeds for Flash seeds? Sadly I didn't get my hands on any yet. Also I see a lot of people hyping mephisto, so I'd love to try.
I do have some great auto strains for outside... a couple of 'small' fast strains, and a couple of stretchy ones. More interesting for quality then quantity though. Would love to see how they would perform in a warmer climate. Am sending some testers to friends in south-east Asia and in Africa to get an idea. Last summer we had snow in mid May, and again in the beginning of June. Often collected plants in November with a few inches of snow on them. Hardy bastards. Whenever temperatures go over 15c they go wild.
SMC85
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:56 am
SMC85 wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:30 pm
unkle_psycho wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:31 pm
I've bumped into auto seeds that would not germinate well without being frozen first. I bumped into others that I could not germinate for a few weeks, but a month later I saw they sprouted in the abandoned pots. Usually I have pretty good success, but there are huge differences in seeds. Some stains have a reputation for various issues.

Some issues can be from weak genes, but actually they can come from strong genes too. Sometimes a tough shell is a problem for an anxious person, but I just threw the same seeds on the ground and they sprouted on their own. With the particular strain people recommended using a little sand paper to get it started.
I'm hoping they are good was wondering if you or anyone could tell me this

If you get seeds from weak bud if you get the seeds and plant them could they come out good
With weak bud, do you mean not intoxicating, or do you mean a plant that has weak genetics for growing?

I'm afraid you will not get a definitive answer on the source of your problem. Brings to mind a breeder thread I read a while back, where the breeder sent a bunch of seeds to perhaps 20 growers he had selected by their amazing grow reports. In that context (when 20 experienced growers struggle with the same seeds) it was easier to get a picture on what was going on. When its just you its easy to blame the seeds... no shortage on forums. When you are on a public platform and 19 others are germinating the same seeds, suddenly it becomes impossible to just blame the genetics. In this case the seeds were hard to get to open - and about half the growers still got almost full germination rates through various types of gadgetry. The other half got poor germination rates, from extremely desirable seed.
Since these guys were breeders, the guys who 'tricked' the seeds to open had more choice on phenotype. The guys with low germination rates felt they failed, but I think they just created a bottle neck in the breeding program... their offspring likely germinated better, since they only used the seeds that came easy.

Right now I'm germinating one bernies cookies kush, and I was wondering why I did not raise. I wanted to blame bernie, but after inspection it seems I'm to blame. I used peat that has large and long fibers, and the germinated seed could not push its way through. I never used a special soil for germinating, and that alone is a big deal for some strains...
We'll both I was talking to a friend and he said as long as I do everything correctly I should be able to have good bud but Whit free seeds I'm guessing that's not really the case I am a beginner grower the only thing holding me back is who and where to get good seeds from but I have some names not sure what I want to get in to I eventually want to breed but a lot of plants I want to focus more on quality of the bud so if anyone has input on that that would be awesome
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

My white sirius auto is from flash seeds.
NothinYet is my nickname
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

We'll both I was talking to a friend and he said as long as I do everything correctly I should be able to have good bud but Whit free seeds I'm guessing that's not really the case I am a beginner grower the only thing holding me back is who and where to get good seeds from but I have some names not sure what I want to get in to I eventually want to breed but a lot of plants I want to focus more on quality of the bud so if anyone has input on that that would be awesome
Don't worry about it. Your seeds are probably fine. Grow them out and see what happens. What you learn this grow will help you next grow.
I've ordered from three different places- I Love Growing Marijuana, Nirvana Seeds, Ace Seeds. All have treated me well, and I've been happy with their products. There are LOTS of seed vendors out there.
Good luck !
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I just had a look and cookies kush decided to join the party, around day 8. Still got her helmet on, though.

It's better not to stress too much about seeds. It's easier if you always germinate extra. Perhaps hard if you have to buy your seed. If you can find clones, someone has already done the pheno hunt for you and you can jump in immediately with excellent genes. In general no seedbank could really select for germination while breeding. Look at seed descriptions and you can see what seed companies think customers want in seed descriptions :P I get upset reading them.

I would not put the seeds in a closed ziplock (or anything), I would leave them a little breathing space. Won't be a problem unless you bump into a slowly germinating seed. If it goes over a few days I would move them between two plates (top one upside down), as someone recommended earlier. Something that breathes a bit but still holds moisture to your needs.
PurpleGunRack
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Old seed can take a month to germinate.

Make sure it's moist in the bag give it a few mists once in a while.

An old timer way to make old seeds germinate faster is to glue some fine sandpaper to the bottom of a matchbox, place the seeds inside and shake it, well.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Hope I don't come across as insensitive, but I would reemphasize that you should not keep the seeds in a sealed environment, especially if they take over three days to germinate. At least you should spray them with something like mild peroxide and keep changing the tissue to reduce chances of mold.

If mold appears it will continue to thrive in a moist veg environment, so it will affect short term in your grow, and long term in your grow environment.

Only reason i'm persisting with this is because I've seen it too often.

If your germinating platform breaths too much you will easily loose seeds to dryness. If the environment breaths too little, you are inviting mold.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I thought I might as well add how I do it.

I soak in water overnight, and in the morning place the seed in a "root riot" cube. (I'm guessing rockwool will do the same, I just don't like touching that stuff.) Pointy side pointing up, about half a centimeter in, just enough to cover it and make sure it's dark. I start with the cube soaked wet, and then hold myself from watering it for at least two days. Then make sure it's moist again. This will obviously depend on local heat, humidity, and air circulation. It just seems to do a good job at keeping the moisture level right.
SMC85
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

PurpleGunRack wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:27 am
Old seed can take a month to germinate.

Make sure it's moist in the bag give it a few mists once in a while.

An old timer way to make old seeds germinate faster is to glue some fine sandpaper to the bottom of a matchbox, place the seeds inside and shake it, well.
How long can seeds last