Determining Ripeness

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I always determined ripeness by eye. About a year back I got a shitty loupe and became a believer, but it was so hard to use that I threw it away, and ordered a 'good' one from a US company.

I looked through my stash weed, and realized what I had thought was strong individuals/ strains, had amber trichomes, and what I thought was uplifting induvidials/ strains had mostly clear trichomes. So it became clear that I would use this to determine the best time to cut plants down from now on.

Now its approaching time and I seem to have misplaced the damn loupe, can't find it anywhere. Just about a week back I was observing milky trichomes, and now I'm trying to use my cell phone camera to observe any progression. It's hopeless.

I guess my main question is: How worried do I need to be about going over ripe? Whats a safe time to leave the plant from when all the tops have already closed, and only the very lowest buds have white hairs on them?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
QuantumMechanic
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I use a camera with a macro lens to check trichomes. It's nice because I don't have to touch the plant and I can see a large area all at once, while seated comfortably on the couch later.

If you go overripe, you'll have "sleepy" herb. Not ripe enough makes for "speedy" herb. My preference is a bit toward the sleepy side.

Every plant is different, and every grower grows differently, and no two situations are the same. Since you have experience with eyeballing it, perhaps doing that one more time would be a good idea. From your description, it sounds like you are pretty close to finishing.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Yeah, Usually I know my strains, so I have a pretty good idea of how the flower develops. The loupe just blew my mind. I've actually seen someone talk about these macro usb cameras... said its good for old men with shaky hands. Any recommendations?

I usually prefere weed that is a little more energetic, since i'm usually active. Important to have at least one sleeper though, it can be frustrating knocking yourself out with a young energetic haze :D

I've been running sativa hybrids to do big plants and keep plant counts down. Now I added one cookies kush, hopefully for knockouts. I guess I'll just leave it over time and take the others based on my experience.

Planning on getting some herijuana beans to cover the knockout, and for breeding. Otherwise focus on sativas.
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I've got a digital microscope by Plugable from Amazon. It does 250x magnification and let's me take digital pics n vids. Wife uses it to rate strains online and to check ripeness. 30 bux CDN.
Tickles the ɯılʞɯɐu
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Ive used a digital loupe but a pain in the ass to hold still.

I just use a standard x20 little loupe now.

The 2 options as mentioned are 'Cloudy' & 'Amber' triches.

When cloudy and mature the head of the triche will mushroom over.
When mainly at that point, the plant could start to produce Amber triches.

When i see an obvious spattering of amber,im usually ready to chop. Maybe 10% amber at that point.

However, last grow i did, Gorilla Glue, at 9weeks little to no amber showing but fully cloudy and mushroomed over triches.

I decided to bring her down at week 9. No doubt she could of gone another 2 or 3 weeks if id of let her.
Once cured, quite a heavy lick from her. More of sit down n chill stone, but no amber.

So id say the cloudy/mushroomed is the 1st window to chop, and id say anthing upto 30% amber would be the final window to chop to not lose a certain amount of potency.

1000 ways to skin a cat though :D
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I found my loupe. I had placed it in one of those old school football games where the players are stuck on spinning metal poles... don't know what they are called.

I managed to get one to slight amberness, and now I feel there was a little destruction of the trichomes starting at the same time... is that normal?
Tickles the ɯılʞɯɐu
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:38 am
I found my loupe. I had placed it in one of those old school football games where the players are stuck on spinning metal poles... don't know what they are called.

I managed to get one to slight amberness, and now I feel there was a little destruction of the trichomes starting at the same time... is that normal?
Yes thats quite normal.
Whilst small amount of the triches maybe starting to turn amber, the key point is ensuring all triches are at least cloudy and mushroomed. That indicates the THCA is about at its end in producing in that triche, but what you have to do is take a judgement on the plant as a whole.

When the amber starts to appear its the beginning of the production of CBN.

Bear in mind, that once chopped the plant is still maturing so all cloudy and small amount of amber indicates the ideal time for me personally.

A slightly more Amber plant will reduce the anxiety effect (Speedy weed clear to cloudy), so if you like that speedy/Anxiety kick from your stone then no amber.
If you want that all round high, then make sure there is some amber.
Personally i think its important to go slight amber to ensure as many of the cannabinoids are present.

This might give you a more solid insight, or at least a place to gain some knowledge.
https://www.growweedeasy.com/thc-cbd-cb ... -marijuana
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Man that was a pretty good resource. It really does seem that some degredation is going on when things turn amber. I will definatly get a usb macro camera to start to develop some skills in this department. Have files to compare with previous harvests trich development, and really learn the best time to chop, strain by strain.