I mean, come on

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I don't know what your light fixture is like, but would it be possible to tie the colas to the top of your tent? I've seen something similar with greenhouse tomatoes. I think you still need the stakes, but the idea is you tie them to the top of the tent with string.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

alienfarts687 wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:28 am
I don't know what your light fixture is like, but would it be possible to tie the colas to the top of your tent? I've seen something similar with greenhouse tomatoes. I think you still need the stakes, but the idea is you tie them to the top of the tent with string.
I'd be careful about tying colas to anything fixed. In my experience the pots get moved around a bit when you take normal care of the plants, and being tied to the sides/ceiling would risk braking a cola. Not that it would ever happen intentionally, but it's best to design taking into consideration the prevention of accidental damage.
alienfarts687
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

That's true. I don't tend to move my plants much, especially that late into flower. I'd think of it similar to a SCROG where you just can't move the plants.
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I tried a scrog screen, but didn't have the best of luck with it. I do end up liking to be able to move the pots. I think more bamboo will do. A little less overcrowding will probably help as well.

I've still got lots of dialing in to do after switching to these LED's in here. I got the fixtures set to a total 1300watts across the 8'x4', after having them turned to what was surely a bit too high of levels. Had some feeding issues with the finickier ones. Overall though it's going to be a big improvement over HPS for me. Could never keep the 600w HPS fixtures cool enough consistent enough or far enough above the canopy to account for the IR crispiness effect or fluffying effect. The LED's buds still feel fresh and as dense as I'd always hoped for, and they all smell amazing even though some of them look sort of rough at this stage. The HPS buds would fry a bit on me once set I think.

Lights in here are 12 Vero 29 C SE 3500K on 6 HLG-185H-C1400B's. Rapid LED substrate setups. They are 4 COBs each on 41" bars with active cooling 120mm fans on 140mm pin heatsinks. Each bar can run up over 400 watts for 1200 potential watts from the COB's alone. They are currently running 300w per bar including the fan wattage for 900w total from COBs.

The additional lights are 6 HLG QB 288V2 3000K on 2 HLG-320H-C2100B's. There are 2 slate 2 triple heatsinks with big fans blowing on the whole things. Over 600 potential watts in these, running them at 200 watts per slate for 400 total QB watts currently.
HLGV2Triple_Install.jpg

I've made to Day 54. Fighting some mites after seeing some initial bites. Windows for these cultivars are 55-65 days and 56-63 days from breeders so I've made it there at least. Playing it by ear until chop now. Here's some L and R sides of the big tent.
BigTent_Day54_L.jpg
BigTent_Day54.jpg
Some pretty nuggage. This is an apricot pheno, #2 of Crockett's Confidential.
Crockett2_Day54.jpg
The other apricot pheno, #4, these 2 are my favorites in this cultivar.
Crockett4_Day54.jpg

Also, I have some new ladies going in to testing in my smaller tent. They are 5 genotypes of Exotic Genetix - Purple Lamborghini (Triple OG male onto Purple Urkel) and 2 genotypes of TGA - Jacks' Cleaner BX2.
Tetster_Tent_Flowering.jpg
I know I'm not right
But I'm not wrong, no, I'm not wrong
Girl, you hate it when I'm too high
But that's where I belong, where I belong
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Playing with this Atreum Lighting board I've mounted in the square COB frame, and stem rubbing the new testers. Way too much power potential in this fixture now it's like 595 watts at the wall with everything cranked. :lol:

I tried to tune it all to about 55-60w per emmiter, so about 300 watts total and 18" from canopy in the 3'x3'.
Tester_Tent_Luminaire_Upgrade.jpg
I know I'm not right
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Day 16 in the tester tent. One of the Jacks' Cleaner plants has a bright lemon smell going on. Debating some defoliation for these soon.
Testers_Day16.jpg

Day 61 in the big tent. Pulled down about half the plants starting day 57. Should finish them up by day 65 if I let some of these go that long but who knows. Some are still swelling a bit, especially my favorite the Crockett #4

Crockett's Confidential 1:
CC1_Day61.jpg
Crockett's Confidential 2:
CC2_Day61.jpg
Crockett's Confidential 3:
CC3_Cola_Day61.jpg
CC3_Day61.jpg
Crockett's Confidential 4:
CC4_Day61.jpg
CC4_Colors_Day61.jpg
CC4__Dunkey_Day61.jpg
Crockett's Confidential 5:
CC5_Day61.jpg
The last pheno standing of the Thank You Jerry, the #4:
J4_Day61.jpg
J4_Eggtop_Day61.jpg
This cultivar seemed to be a bit too susceptible to mites so had to take down the 1-3 phenos a bit earlier than I hoped.
I know I'm not right
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Day 29 on the tester plants.
Testers_Day29.jpg

The 2 Jacks' Cleaner BX2 phenos:
JC1_Day29.jpg
2. Smells pure lemon
JC2_Day29.jpg

The 5 Purple Lamborghini phenos. These have on and off days for smells so far. Getting a bit earthy, urkley, no OG funk detected yet :
PL1_Day29.jpg
PL2_Day29.jpg
PL3_Day29.jpg
PL4_Day29.jpg
PL5_Day29.jpg
I know I'm not right
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Some Purple Lambo tops around day 44:
PL1_adj.jpg
PL2_adj.jpg
PL3_adj.jpg
PL4.jpg
PL5_adj.jpg

The tent couple days ago, think day 47:
Tent_Day47.jpg
I know I'm not right
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

damn, looking pretty ready
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Are these from a mom used in previous flowering runs where you observed uniform growth patterns?

When assessing the difference between your HPS and LED grows, you need to look at specific characteristics and compare.

You're going to get more overall photosynthesis with LEDs - bottom line. More PAR = more growth.

But different morphology - processes having nothing to do with photosynthesis, using light at different wavelengths triggers specific physical results: color, flavor, shape, etc.

If you're interested I have a white paper detailing a side-by-side of HPS / "full spectrum" LED and white light LED
  • Growing "red" lettuce
  • COBs grew largest but never turned red
  • Blurple wasn't as large, but turned red
There's no answer here, just more questions but I think tunable spectrum LEDs will provide more answers.
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...