Or_Gro and the epic smackdown

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
Frank Cannon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Well there's the trifecta, the original Sensei Master has swum in :D

Nice one Prawn, I just downloaded those to post here - once again I'm too slow.....

OG, I was surprised the T5s didn't bump the blue spike harder alar the QB96s.

As an aside to this here is a warning to everyone using red heavy boards and lux meters. When PC measured the above spectrums and we looked at intensity on his Passport - 1000ppfd was @ 61000lux but my cheap arse lux meter was only reading 45000lux !!

The sooner someone designs a cost effective meter the better.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Frank Cannon wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:19 am
Well there's the trifecta, the original Sensei Master has swum in :D

Nice one Prawn, I just downloaded those to post here - once again I'm too slow.....

OG, I was surprised the T5s didn't bump the blue spike harder alar the QB96s.

As an aside to this here is a warning to everyone using red heavy boards and lux meters. When PC measured the above spectrums and we looked at intensity on his Passport - 1000ppfd was @ 61000lux but my cheap arse lux meter was only reading 45000lux !!

The sooner someone designs a cost effective meter the better.
I will be testing one next month, if it good enough and the company agrees to my terms then I will make it available to everyone. It won't be $20 but still a cheap par meter, aiming for $200 maximum might be cheaper if I can squeeze them a bit and buy high volumes.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Or_Gro wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:51 am
Welcome crustacean!

What % is 600nm and higher? The blue looks so small....

I don’t understand how FC’s curve could be below an unsupplemented high light (green below pink)?
Light does strange things when blending different spectrums, it's not always what you think it will do.

When Mark from Cutter and I were trying to hit 100 CRI using different blends of optisolis we spent an hour trying to get it higher but couldn't, I think we maxed out at 99.3CRI, Cyan at around 480nm was lacking just that tiny bit to get it higher.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik
Frank Cannon
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Or_Gro wrote:
Welcome crustacean!

I don’t understand how FC’s curve could be below an unsupplemented high light (green below pink)?
That is also comparing my supplemented HighRed boards against your 3 colour UV boards
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Funny stuff rb ....yes, i was measuring the 14%, no film on the sensor...

So, pos?'.., lol!
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Frank Cannon wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:04 am
Or_Gro wrote:
Welcome crustacean!

That is also comparing my supplemented HighRed boards against your 3 colour UV boards
Do you have the 3-color (w uva) or the 2-color (no uva)?

If he was comparing the same HLs, i’m confused. I would expect your curve to be higher than the unsupplemented bd.

I saw Teknik’s explanation. Prawn and randomblame, what’s yours?
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

A little help please, can we tag someone using “@“ in front of someone’s handle?
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Randomblame wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:33 am
Or_Gro wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:05 pm
I posted this on the “General” section, but ibet my riu buds haven’t even gone over there yet, so i’m posting in here, jic...

Hey dudes, i have one of these to measure and set height on my uvb tubes:

DF14589C-7875-4E0F-8FDB-AFCF2C44858A.jpeg

It works great, but price is $$$ for some people. So @chiefrunningphist on riu asked me to buy one of these (free app for i-phone/android), and compare to my meter:

CDDA35E0-100A-4EEA-AAA6-0575BC8DC84A.jpeg

Here is one of crp’s posts explaining his rationale:

569A1094-1D01-482B-A1A2-A9DF53FDA642.jpeg

I tested it under a single 4’ tube of these:

85FAEA7A-FE96-4BE5-B336-EF265B5CAE1E.jpeg

I let my light warm up for 15 mins, then ran the meters side-by-side, here’s what i got:

690F8995-F5C7-449B-AE31-3E537969D1E3.jpeg

Line-of-best-fit (plug target uW/sq cm as “x”, tells you target UV Index value):

D38C10EB-1123-4D0F-A4E2-A50D844F1DD3.jpeg
This screenies are showing the test results of an Arcadia 12% bulb with different types of reflectors at different heights. It shows lux, μW/cm² and UV-index measured every 5cm and the other two show how its distributed with and w/o reflector.

Which bulbs have you tested? The 14% bulbs? The UVI meter results are much lower compared to the test results(12% bulb) in this test. 800μW/cm² should be an UVI of 22. A 12% bulb at 350μW/cm² should have an index of 10.

I've ordered the same little meter and I'm curious if I get the same low readings. Perhaps there is a protective film on the sensor that needs to be removed? If not it seems they are not worth is.. Another 25$ in the bin, lol!
Usually the divider is 25 to calculate the UVI, this readings suggest the divider is close to 150.(105:150=0,7). So either there was something wrong or it's simply too far off from a calibrated device.

They have used the same UVB meter like you(Solarmeter 6.2) and the UVI meter was of the same brand. Solarmeters is a very reputable brand and has long time experience in building UV meters and those meters are fully calibrated. So I expect their test results are correct.
Rb, i hope you can do a comparison of your uv smartphone sensor vs a Solarmeter, so we can can compare results.
Prawn Connery
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Or_Gro wrote:
Welcome crustacean!

Two things:

Firstly, Frank has the red boards, which have no UV LEDs, and a much softer blue spectrum. The T5s do not put out enough blue in the areas you are looking at to increase it much - because the T5s are much less powerful than the boards (100W vs 900+W), and probably account for less than 5% of the visible light you are looking at on the spectrum chart, because the remaining power is in the UV spectrum, which you can't see.

Secondly, spectographs are all about the area under the curve: peaks are not comparable until you have divided them by the area under the curve to give them a value. I think I explained this once before, but each peak is relative to all the others, but is not relative to a peak on another chart, because the area under the curve (the total light output) is different.

Does that all make sense now?
Prawn Connery
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Are we really limited to 6kb avatars? Mine's so tiny . . . I wish I had a big one. :mrgreen: