Or_Gro and the epic smackdown

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

also to make things easier, Or_Gro asked if there was a way to tag people in posts... I messaged LG ( Ledgardener 😉) and got a reply.. he found a extension that should let us do that.. he's scheduling maintenance soon 😁

I'll put this here, since I don't even have permission for the announcement section 😄
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm
also to make things easier, Or_Gro asked if there was a way to tag people in posts... I messaged LG ( Ledgardener 😉) and got a reply.. he found a extension that should let us do that.. he's scheduling maintenance soon 😁

I'll put this here, since I don't even have permission for the announcement section 😄
Thanks JGG, i appreciate your responsiveness!
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Day 14: hopefully get these topped and transplanted by end of week.
8C871248-A9AB-45DE-B174-5506CB3B55D3.jpeg
IbnVapin
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Looking great bro. These are the Where's My Bike, right??
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Hail Hail the gang's all here!

What happened at Riu, Or-gro? Im a bit of a gossip, is it in your thread? I never had a run in with the mods and i avoid the trolls but not really happy with the state generally.

I predict a High light win. Great spectrum with great distribution (boards covering around half of the cannopy!) is the ticket imho.
Rocket Soul
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Prawn Connery wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:19 am
Yes, on paper they are good LEDs and have a good range from 367nm to 420nm. Seoul Semiconductor are pushing their UV mono LEDs and UV-based white phosphors - which we use on our High Lights - for the horticulture industry, because they understand the importance of full spectrum LED with added UV to target secondary metabolite production.

Or at the very least, they understand that trying to match broad-spectrum sunlight - in light (pun intended) of our ever-changing understanding of how different spectra affect plant growth - is a great marketing gimmick!

I don't pretend to be an expert on the subject, so can only offer some observations. Firstly, I don't know where some of these companies get their ideas that 285nm and 365nm are the most efficient sources of UV for plants, as I haven't seen any real scientific basis for this. They may be based on one particular study that exposed plants to UVB or not, but other more recent studies have shown that pretty much all UV light will elicit stress responses in cannabis that increase cannabinoid production.

It seems logical, therefore, that the higher the frequency (lower nm) and energy of a wavelength, the greater the stress response in a plant over a given timeframe.

However, the trade-off is that these stress responses are exactly that: responses to stress factors (DNA damaging UV light) that would otherwise harm the plant.

So UV light can force a plant to produce more THC, but it can also damage the plant in the process and stunt growth. It may also be a very inefficient use of energy, as the energy required to provide UV light is not helping the plant grow.

The tradeoff, therefore, is THC production vs overall yield.

My own view is that there is probably a balance somewhere, between optimum use of UV light to provide a mild stress response to improve terpene and cannabinoid production, and wasted energy/damaging UV that either stunts growth, damages the plant, or does not promote growth - resulting in lower yields.

Very few growers want lower yields. And quality can be very subjective.

I have smoked UVA/B exposed buds and non-UV exposed. The UV exposed bud has been grown under lights, and grown outdoors.

You can clearly notice the difference in potency - it is tangible (even if you don't have a mass spectrometer to measure THC levels). But does it improve the experience? Is the quality of the high "better" or just "stronger". And if it is merely "stronger" (higher levels of cannabinoids), then does that make up for any lack of "quality" in the high? By which I mean, a strong, nasty (paranoia-inducing) high is still a nasty high.

Increasing THC production when other cannabinoids are not increased by the same proportion could, in fact, ruin the "high" profile and turn what may be a pleasant smoke into something a little less pleasant.

Nearly all of today's modern strains were bred under almost no UV (HPS lights, or sometimes Metal Halides that usually had UV-blockiung iron incorporated into the protective glass).

Even plants that evolved outside where never subjected to high levels of UVB: 285nm almost doesn't exist on our planet, as it is nearly all filtered out by the atmosphere. The UVB to UVA ratio averages around 20:1, and even that only makes up around 5% of all light energy that reaches the earth (meaning UVB makes up 5% of 5% - or 0.25% of all light energy). And of that 0.25%, only a tiny, tiny fraction is 285nm - if at all at sea level.

So if we are really using sunlight as the yardstick when creating artificial light, then we probably only need 5% maximum UV, and of that, 95% should be UVA. And it should probably be broad spectrum UVA, too - not just one wavelength.

But as I said, I'm no expert, and these are only my observations.
On 280ish / 360ish UV: theres some info if you google stomata aperture action spectrum (cant remember which one and no time to double check). They talk about the "3-finger action spectrum with several peaks, 280 / 360 being 2 of them. Granted its not cannabinoides but usually nature follows down the same paths.
Theres also info if you look up uvr8 (gene? Receptor? Random knows as usual...)

If this was already posted then sorry, havent caught up on the whole thread.
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

IbnVapin wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:55 pm
Looking great bro. These are the Where's My Bike, right??
Correctomundo!
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Rocket Soul wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:07 pm

What happened at Riu, Or-gro? Im a bit of a gossip, is it in your thread? I never had a run in with the mods and i avoid the trolls but not really happy with the state generally.

I predict a High light win. Great spectrum with great distribution (boards covering around half of the cannopy!) is the ticket imho.
Welcome dude!

I had a thread going about the very inexpensive, but effective, donut humidifiers. The troll mongo frog, and his buds/alternate handles showed up and did their troll dance. I politely asked them to leave, AND took prawn’s advice to use humor to get rid of them. I didn’t even curse, tho i did tell one of them to go fondle himself.

I reported them for harassment, and Later that day, my thread was disappeared and the mf’s slowed me down so much that each time i tried to post i timed out before i could post.

This was the 3rd time this guy and his posse have attacked my threads, unprovoked. The same guy trolled prawn and randomblame, and apparently got teknik exiled. He has been a member for 10 years, doing this crap, and they just let him continue.

I said f it, no more. I don't suffer trolls, but more importantly, i don’t participate in forums where trolls are treated better than thread starters.

Riu has some great experts, and lots of good people, but shitty admin. I will never post there again.
Chiefrunningphist
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Or_Gro wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 pm
Rocket Soul wrote:

Welcome dude!

I had a thread going about the very inexpensive, but effective, donut humidifiers. The troll mongo frog, and his buds/alternate handles showed up and did their troll dance. I politely asked them to leave, AND took prawn’s advice to use humor to get rid of them. I didn’t even curse, tho i did tell one of them to go fondle himself.

I reported them for harassment, and Later that day, my thread was disappeared and the mf’s slowed me down so much that each time i tried to post i timed out before i could post.

This was the 3rd time this guy and his posse have attacked my threads, unprovoked. The same guy trolled prawn and randomblame, and apparently got teknik exiled. He has been a member for 10 years, doing this crap, and they just let him continue.

I said f it, no more. I don't suffer trolls, but more importantly, i don’t participate in forums where trolls are treated better than thread starters.

Riu has some great experts, and lots of good people, but shitty admin. I will never post there again.
That's ridiculous. I heard that mongo frog guy mentioned before by others, he must be in with the mods or something. I've not been impressed with RIU at all. Glad you guys are finding a no b.s. home, Ive been encouraged to migrate over, but I've been reluctant because I can't navigate the site as easily. Can't imagine what was so argue worthy about humidifiers though lol makes me laugh thinking about how someone would troll over humidifiers
Or_Gro
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Chiefrunningphist wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:24 am
Or_Gro wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:53 pm
Rocket Soul wrote:

Welcome dude!

That's ridiculous. I heard that mongo frog guy mentioned before by others, he must be in with the mods or something. I've not been impressed with RIU at all. Glad you guys are finding a no b.s. home, Ive been encouraged to migrate over, but I've been reluctant because I can't navigate the site as easily. Can't imagine what was so argue worthy about humidifiers though lol makes me laugh thinking about how someone would troll over humidifiers
Trolls don't care about the topic...