Extraction

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
majorana
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Anybody here with experience extracting oil using butane, or any other solvent? I've done some reading, but would appreciate any tips or pointers from anybody with experience so I can follow up with some more questions. (My last attempt using alcohol was a miserable fail, but it was rushed and clueless.) Thanks!
DaveJonesFan
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Sure, butane works.

Get a good blast tube with a perfectly fitting hole for the butane can nozzle. Remove all stems and break up nugs by hand carefully. Pack the everloving shit out of the tube. You don't want air passages of little resistance. Use enough butane and have a large enough can to keep a consistent blast pressure on the tube once you start blasting don't let up until it's done.

Blast into a ban marie pyrex setup with water around 140 degrees F. Disconnect electric power and remove all threats of spark formation from area. Be outside in a well ventilated area. After blast, you can reconnect power to the heating element once intial burst of off gassing has passed and solution is only slowly bubbling. Let the solution off gas until the big bubbles have stopped forming (about 20 mins).

Scrape the solution onto a silicone pad or parchment paper with minimal stirring whipping or agitating. This part is artistic and you may be dealing with many types of stickiness and consistency so you have to finesse. I use trapezoidal and rectagonal (holy shit LEDG, you need a better spell checker) razors and use one to scrape the other. Apply mild heat to razors to aid in scraping ability.

Put the paper into a vacuum chamber on a precise and consistent heating element between 100-120 degrees F. Carefully pull a vacuum, watching for the initial muffin top to form a large rising mass of bubbles, be ready to regulate or let off vacuum so as not to make a mess during this stage. Once muffin has settled, allow for full vacuum to be pulled by pump for long enough to achieve desired texture. Usually at least 12 - 24 hours.

Higher temps during vac and longer durations can lead to a more budder, wax end product, Lower temps and shorter durations can result in a more tacky snap and pull nature, hard to soft with hand heat, that may still have some more residual butane. Or you can get to a nice solid shard of glass type shatter texture. If you boil at too high a temp you could get stuck with a decarboxylated product which will result in an overly sticky goopy mess that is hard to salvage and has lost flavor.
I know I'm not right
But I'm not wrong, no, I'm not wrong
Girl, you hate it when I'm too high
But that's where I belong, where I belong
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Alcohol works great, especially when you go over 80% strength. Medical pure alcohol is very fast, anything weaker needs some time.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

I like making cookies or brownies. Decarb the weed, cook it in oil for 6 hours on 200 degrees ferenheight, let cool, strain with coffee filter or cheese cloth, and add to whatever mix you need, and bake.
NothinYet is my nickname
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

First you decarb, then you cook at 200f for 6h?

I have done quite a lot of butters, oils and things, but not quite sure on the winning formula. I try a lot of variations, some come out very strong, some quite weak. I spent about a year following the ayurvedic recipe for clarified canna butter. The recipe is thousands of years old, and validated by panels of yogis :D Recently I have followed the time/temperature charts for decarboxylation and I feel results were worse, not better.

Alcohol extractions for rick simpson oil we did for some cancer patients, and 3/3 cases worked immediatly (one was even made from finola hemp, since nothing else was at hand).
sdfoster22
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Yup, make sure you stir it every 20-30 mins. If You get it over 200 deg f it burns it sometimes in the pan. If you can stop it from being burned and degrading the thc.
NothinYet is my nickname
bvolt
Forum's First Member!
Forum's First Member!
Reactions:

Hey guys,

I'll only ever do a butane extraction if I have an assistant (need the other set of hands) to make shatter or wax, but when I want to make edibles I use ethanol - or ISO (in a pinch).
  • The amount of ISO that's left after evaporation is negligible

If you can find it for under $100, the Magical Butter machine works well and can extract oil from more than an ounce at a time.
  • Like a slow cooker, it has the ability to set and hold a steady temp
  • Different from a slow-cooker, it blades that spin like a blender to periodically agitate the material
The real magic is the decarb, tho. You can do 250F for 30 mins or 230F for 50 mins (low and slow is better).

The decarbed herb and up to 2 cups of ethanol go into the Magical Butter. A button press and 2 hours later, you're ready to strain the leftover plant material from the infused alcohol.

At this point you have options... I like to use an induction cooker and just heat the alcohol off (this can be done in under 5 mins).

Thanks.
You might wanna double-check anything you've read here...
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Does alcohol help in butter extraction? thats a new one for me!
Sativant
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

For cooking I just decarb, add to ingredients and bake. I've been doing that every other week for over a year with great success. Once the herb is decried there is no need to heat it. For decarb I heat on baking pan for one hour at 240˚.

I do want to try making Rick Simpson oil. It seems straightforward and not as dangerous as using butane.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

You leave the dry material in the mix? so you dont mix it into butter, but just add it to the recipe?