Grow Journal/ Plea For Help

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
wardo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hey everyone, I'm a new grower and have 3 cxb3590 fixtures with 4 50 watt cobs powered by hlg 185h c1400b drivers i put together following instruction on this very site here https://ledgardener.com/build-led-grow-light/. They're in 20 inch aluminum frames with the cobs about 14 inches apart. I have everything to build a 4th except I haven't made the frame yet. I've used them twice before with super disappointing results and have not gotten anywhere remotely near a gram a watt. Last time I got 129 grams of mostly trim, littles and larf from 400 watts. Soo yeahhhh I thought I'd post what all I'm doing this round and what I'm doing it with and maybe you good folks could make suggestions on what I could do better.

I got Birthday Cake clones a couple weeks ago, transplanted them into small pots with fox farm ocean forest soil and have just given them water ph'd to pretty close to 5.5. I just put them in the big tent under one of the fixtures a bit ago today, before that they were under t5's. They're already varying heights but the lights are about a foot above them.

After I transplanted them I watered them of course but then immediately screwed up by not watering them for 3 days and 2 of them died. Some of the older leaves are a bit curled and discolored i guess because of that and/or maybe transplant stress? I watered them pretty good yesterday.

Please let me know if there's any more info you need or if i should post pics of anything in particular. Thank you.
20190430_171050.jpg
20190430_171042.jpg
QuantumMechanic
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Having a 50W COB a foot away from a plant is too close. I'll guess that 2-2.5 feet is more optimum. (I don't use COBs, so I'm guessing.)

A pH of 5.5 is too low for soil. It's even a little low for hydro. Google "soil ph chart for cannabis".

How's your temperature at canopy height look? When the leaves start to taco, usually it's too hot.
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Aloha & Try this KNF method with proper lighting levels.
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Greengenes Garden Edu. using Jack's hydroponic nutrients. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCH6-f9 ... A3g/videos
Last edited by Marine2143 on Wed May 01, 2019 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

My guess is your ph is too low that it limits nutrient uptake. Had a similar problem although on a different plant, used peat moss that is known for being acidic, leaves on tomato turned yellow and lower leaves died. Transplanted into compost and "normal" soil and within 5 days the plants looked greener and by 9 days leaves turned dark green. Also don't use tap water for at least 24 hours, let the chlorine / fluorine dissipate - it kills the good stuff in soil
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
wardo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

QuantumMechanic wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 12:08 pm
Having a 50W COB a foot away from a plant is too close. I'll guess that 2-2.5 feet is more optimum. (I don't use COBs, so I'm guessing.)

A pH of 5.5 is too low for soil. It's even a little low for hydro. Google "soil ph chart for cannabis".

How's your temperature at canopy height look? When the leaves start to taco, usually it's too hot.
good to know about tacoing, this forum was a bit confusing to read https://www.rollitup.org/t/cobs-distanc ... opy.912208but i think a few people said 24 inches above canopy so did that, temp says 81 f right now, pointed another fan at them.
I thought since it's 5.5 for clones that's what it was the whole time. Duhh. well i learned something already
wardo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:49 pm
Aloha & Try this KNF method with proper lighting levels.
what's knf?
Marine2143
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Korean method of natural farming. It works well indoor and outdoors.
mmmaxGROWman
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

From looking at the picture it looks like you are growing in soil. For soil bring the ph of water to 6.0 to 6.5, 5.5 would be good for hydroponics. If you medium is coco then 5.8 to 6.3 ph. I run cob lights and during veg these type of light should be at a minimum of 24 inches from plants. I would also try getting some water from any grocery store that says it is reverse osmosis. NO TAP water unless you let is sit in an open container for 24 hours before feeding. Chlorine does not allow plants to uptake nutrients and will kill them fast. hope this helps. goodday
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Tap water varies a lot by location. It certainly pays to have an idea on what water you use. My tap water is excellent, no chlorine here. Only thing to pay attention to is that the waters PH characteristics changes depending on if outside weather is + or -.
In my country a magazine did a comparison of bottled waters, and put the tap water from our capital city as one comparison. The tap water beat everything. Our government said that the reason people in south Europe have lost 90% of their natural testosterone is most likely because they drink bottled water, so while I don't really know, I would avoid bottled water for myself and plants if I had options. And I guess I'm spoilt for choice :D
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"