Peppers at Home

The fruits of our labor. We welcome all types of plants, but grows posted here must be legal.
plantman87
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi there,
I've been growing some veggies and herbs at home in my server rack (see attached) with some basic LEDs from Amazon (Roleadro 45 and 70w), just using the Kratky method, nothing too fancy. I've been having some decent success, judge for yourself!
I'd like to progress to peppers. Has anyone on here had success growing peppers at home?
If so, which seed variety? Hydroponic or soil? And what did you do to start the seeds?
Thank you!
Dan
Attachments
IMG_4237.JPG
IMG_3642.jpeg
IMG_3641.jpeg
IMG_3636.jpeg
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Started pepper seeds in paper towel in a Ziploc bag put in the oven with the oven light on to increase temps, don't be surprised if it takes three weeks to germinate. Put a sticky on oven so you don't forget and accidentally turn on oven. Used soil but transplanted outside after 2 months.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
ubuntuuser
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I like the repurposed server rack. I don't think I could handle working next to those blurples though.

How many watts are you guys running for your peppers? I have sugar peach under a 120w light, but the canopy is only occupying about half of the light space.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Ran it between 20 watts per sq ft when young and ramped it to 30 w per sq ft when mature for 16 hours per day.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
Capt. Saicin
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Yay for Chili!
It's a heavily bubble stone aerated 50L circulating (via airlift pump from bottom to top) single tank DWC system (formerly: thrashcan).
Running 8 50cm Samsung (3000k/5000k, ratio 4:1) Q-Series strips @ ~80W and 48 Osram monos 660/730nm (ratio 2:1) @ ~60W from top. Plus 6 EB Gen3 strips 3500k @ ~60W for sidelighting and under canopy lighting. 14h/day
Sitting at 20-30W/ sqr ft. depending on counting sidelighting or not :D

Chamber is about 0,7m*0.9m. (~6,7sq ft) Just an open intake and exhaust hole at the bottom and top and a fan blowing through canopy for circulation. Seems to be enough.

This 'Golden Habanero' has been in there for two month now, transplanted (wayyy too) early with 2 sets of leaves straight from rockwool cube to clay-lined netpots with no roots touching the nutrient solution. First chunk of roots touched down on nutrient solution a month ago. Pretty happy with flower onset and overall growth this one month. Had some minor pHswings in the sixth week (woopsy, pH-down mishap, had to replace half the reservoir) and probably too much N in the mix in week 5+6. Leafs were way too green but that has corrected intself by now.
Not doing any full res changes, adding nutes on the go as needed. EC of about 1,3-1,5 mS (with hard tapwater of 0,7mS to start) and pH between 5,5-6,1.

Have not trimmed or defoliated anything besides some growth directly at the base and topping at week 4. Have plucked the first few blossoms.

So excited to make pure 'Golden Habanero' powder again. So hot but at the same time fruity. I just love 'Golden Habanero'. Next in line is a 'Scorpion Peach' which seeds I, um, snatched from the local botanical garden's fruiting specimen. Pod did smell deliciously peachy while extracting seeds.
Attachments
One month after transplanting
One month after transplanting
Two months after transplanting
Two months after transplanting