Basement Greens Light

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
ubuntuuser
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I am slowly putting together a cart to grow some greens and start seeds on. I wanted to see how little power I could get away with so I started with an hlb-40h-24b. It is driving 4 4000k samsung H strips. I had some aluminum from an old sliding door that ended up being perfect for the job. This is about 3ft wide and 12" deep. It seems pretty uniform at about 12 inches.
20181108_104714.jpg
Attachments
20181108_104954.jpg
20181108_104853.jpg
20181108_104738.jpg
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Thats like 40w into half a square meter? What exactly do you plan to grow? Does the h-series use the lm561c?
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
ubuntuuser
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I plan grow greens and start seeds.
Hydrofood
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Iv never seen this type of layout done before. Props to you tho! It’s always a good feeling to get your first build under your belt.

Generally, people layout the strips in a ladder type arrangement. This would give you much better light coverage. Since your strips are layed out along the edge of your frame, about 40% of the light will be cast outward from the frame.

I also grow greens so I’m anxious to see how you do with this build. Be sure to update us!
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Very exited to see results. At first I was a little surprised how the strips were set up here, but then I thought it might be great if you have mylar to keep the light in. The areas under the strips might be a little more intense then the center, but that can be desirable too. micro-greens and seedlings to the softer areas or something.
ubuntuuser
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I do have room to add a 5th and 6th strip. It appears to have a fairly even spread from eyes. We will see if the plants agree.
ubuntuuser
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Here we go:
18ScreenshotNov14.png
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Nice! pretty sure this will work well.

Now if you imagine how the light spreads out from the diodes, quite a bit will leak out from the sides. You can keep intensity down by keeping the sides open, and increase intensity by covering the sides with mylar, or an emergency blanket or something.

This would also trap a little heat and give you the chance to add a little moisturizer, both of which should be useful.
ubuntuuser
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Thanks.

I have a cotton drop cloth on the way. It will not be white but it should still add a good amount of reflected light. I think this is one of those projects that will be continually upgraded and refined.