Wood frame

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Tombsy
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Can I use a wood frame for QB288 and heatsink? I have 6 of these boards, building a 2 x 3 array.

Was thinking 1 x 2 wrapped with foil tape.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I made a wooden frame for strips. Wood is a great material, of course its a little harder to find a balance in weight and strength.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

don't see why not.... only 2 things I can think of...

the weight could be a issue with lower quality wood...( full of knots,warps etc) just got to be picky..
if you could get a hold of some cherry or hickory and stain it... that would be a purdy light! 😁

boards/heatsinks won't be grounded... normally driver sitting on aluminium frame or if running remote driver.. a ground wire to the frame is used... you could ground to each one of the heatsinks instead of the frame..
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Jolly Green Giant wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:40 pm
don't see why not.... only 2 things I can think of...

the weight could be a issue with lower quality wood...( full of knots,warps etc) just got to be picky..
if you could get a hold of some cherry or hickory and stain it... that would be a purdy light! 😁

boards/heatsinks won't be grounded... normally driver sitting on aluminium frame or if running remote driver.. a ground wire to the frame is used... you could ground to each one of the heatsinks instead of the frame..
My build had 4 75w drivers so the weight of the wood and the drivers started adding up. When I moved the drivers elsewhere things got more manageable.

Going full retard with wood is a very tempting idea, my first build was just quick and easy. Maybe make some homemade slabs of stabilized wood

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=stabilized+wo ... &ia=images
rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

I used a bit of 1x2 wood with my frame. I would say its stronger than the 1/16th thick 3/4 angle that I used also. And I dont think the foil would be needed unless you plan on running them real hot or plan on having a board sandwiched between 2 heatsinks. . Are you going to have a bracket between the heatsink and frame? If so that should be fine also.

Jolly Green Giant wrote:

Never heard of this before. Are you taking the black (ground) from the DC output and grounding it to your frame/heatsink?
I guess it would be the same as a car.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

What wood did you use rdooski13?

What were you planning to do with the foil? reflection or heatsinking?
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

rdooski3 wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 12:36 am
I used a bit of 1x2 wood with my frame. I would say its stronger than the 1/16th thick 3/4 angle that I used also. And I dont think the foil would be needed unless you plan on running them real hot or plan on having a board sandwiched between 2 heatsinks. . Are you going to have a bracket between the heatsink and frame? If so that should be fine also.

Jolly Green Giant wrote:

Never heard of this before. Are you taking the black (ground) from the DC output and grounding it to your frame/heatsink?
I guess it would be the same as a car.
the green line on the a.c. side.. if your running a remote driver, you have to add a line if you want your light grounded... there's a great explanation here... I can't find it atm lol

ill edit this later when I have more time to dig 😁
rdooski3
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:30 am
What wood did you use rdooski3?
It was some scrap I had so im not 100% sure. But it is a bit darker than the typical stuff at the hardware store.

Make sure you take your time and pick trough the pile and get the best/straightest ones also. Ive seen some pretty messed up ones.