one or two drivers for 8 LT-FB22B

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Calenk
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

I wanna build a 600w light with LT-FB22Bs. what would be a better choice an hlg-600h-48b or (2) hlg-320h-48b drivers?
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Drivers are pretty heavy, if you plan to keep them in your fixture there is a benefit in only using one. What concerns do you have? Drivers last long, and there is a certain flexibility that comes with smaller sizes... there is also some convenience in just hooking up a single driver.

I have 10x75w drivers. Lacking a dialed in setup I keep on having minor benefits from flexibility, one seed was an auto so I separated the plant with a 75w light. Another plant seemed to have the tobacco mosaic virus so again I moved a light and the plant to a separate area for observation, and filled the rest of the space with salads and herbs.
Every time I set an area up for flowering it gets frustrating, there are more wires to deal with, and drivers lying around everywhere.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Calenk
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:54 am
Drivers are pretty heavy, if you plan to keep them in your fixture there is a benefit in only using one. What concerns do you have? Drivers last long, and there is a certain flexibility that comes with smaller sizes... there is also some convenience in just hooking up a single driver.

I have 10x75w drivers. Lacking a dialed in setup I keep on having minor benefits from flexibility, one seed was an auto so I separated the plant with a 75w light. Another plant seemed to have the tobacco mosaic virus so again I moved a light and the plant to a separate area for observation, and filled the rest of the space with salads and herbs.
Every time I set an area up for flowering it gets frustrating, there are more wires to deal with, and drivers lying around everywhere.

well I've just seen a few bigger builds where they used two drivers when hey could have just used one big one. so was just curious if there was a reason for that.
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

If I was marketing a light with multiple drivers, I would probably talk about the security it provides. Even if a driver popped, you would not mess up your light cycle. I would not expect anything to pop though.

If I was marketing a single driver light, I would probably talk about weight and resulting practicality - which I would enjoy every time I move the light.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
Professor Xavier
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

I will add that the 320 has 94% efficiency while the 600 rocks 96%. That's the price of convenience.
Calenk
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Professor Xavier wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:30 pm
I will add that the 320 has 94% efficiency while the 600 rocks 96%. That's the price of convenience.
ya I noticed that. I went with the 600 for that reason.