First Build and I need some advice :?:

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Pablo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello
So this is my 1st thread and will be my 1st build too :D

I have a pretty rough Idea of what I am going with. This is based on what Ive read here and also what I have available here locally.
Prebuilt COB and LED Setups are still Really expensive here, so DIY is my preferred option.

My current Light is a 400W HPS and MH Bulb that I am running on a DIY magnetic Ballast. I run both HPS and MH depending on Veg or Flower Cycles.
I have a 80cm X 80cm X 120CM space that This is used in.

I am thinking about going with the following Strips:
- LED MOD FSeries GEN3 3500K Strip (I am just not sure which one as I dont really see much of a difference?)
(SI-B8U521560WW)
or
(SI-B8U261560WW)

I have access To Mean Well Drivers, but I am not sure which one I need?

Some of my requirements is that it must Replace a 400W HPS on with the same output or better, this should be able to fill a 80cm X 80cm X 120CM space and I must be able to use it for Both Veg and Flower.

Can someone please advise me on
- how do I calculate how many strips I would need to cover this area?
- How do I determine which driver I should use?

Thanks in advance!! :lol: :P :lol:
PBLO
Pablo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Or any advice and suggestions that will be greatly appreciated for my 80cm x80cm x120cm space
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

welcome to the forum first off!

our host Ledgardener has a great post in his blog that I still use as reference, and send newer people to for a good read
http://ledgardener.com/diy-led-strip-bu ... #more-2416
in there he goes thru the basics of how to calculate what you need for what size space.. with your 80x80 I would copy one of the 2 x 4 builds( they mainly are parallel builds.. if you want to wire series, we can figure out the other driver easy.) just spaced different to fit the 80x80..

you technically could do your space with a 185w build. ( 80cm x 80cm = 6.25sqft.. 6.25x30w= 187.5w )and it would most likely equal the hps in there now.. but a 240w would give you that better than the hps amount of light..

good choice on the 3500k.. I've used them for flower and veg for over ( edit: 1 and a 1/2 years lol) now... they work great as a both cycle light...

as for the difference between those two strips... one is a single row version that runs 24v range.. the other is a double row strip that runs in the 48v range.. basically you get twice as many skinnier ones.. or half as many of the double sides to equal same diode count.. ( you'll see in that link..the F strip that ends in 2B is single row.. 4B is the double. )

again welcome, and don't hesitate to ask questions.. tons of info to dig thru also!
Pablo
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Thanks for the reply and the Welcome Jolly!

By the time I saw your response I have found exactly that thread that you have linked, Thanks it is indeed a Very helpful thread and am happy to hear that the 2x3 setup will be an upgrade! I actually thought that the 3x3 Setup is what I was going to need. So im saving :D :D

I have also now covered all the videos available :D :)