Driver hissing, humming, buzzing, crackling, whining noise

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
mustermann
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hello,

I recently installed 3 HLG QB288v2, 2x 3000k and 1x 4000k, each powered by it's own Meanwell NPF120-54.

The driver is the non dimmable version, but the NPF120-120D-54 is listed in the driver notes of the quantum board guide on HLG's website; so are non-dimmable HLG models - thus I figured I'd go with the non-dimmable NPF and regulate light intensity via height. Mainly because there seems to be nothing between HLG320 and HLG480 and the price difference was negligible, but also because I'm no expert so I figured I'd spare myself a parallel setup.

Testing went splendid so I mounted the thing, I figured I'd only use the 4000k during sprouting. So today, on it's second day of service I notice that the 4000k does a crackling that can sometimes rise to a whining. Alarmed I switch it off and do some research. I find nothing very conclusive. Checked my solderings if they're causing an arc but they shouldn't, they are sitting tight. Then I read somewhere that the driver might be under too much, or too little load. I remember that the resistance of the quantum board is higher if heated, so I switch on both 3000K, since they're all mounted on the same radiator and the crackling of the 4000k gradually fades.

Later I notice that the noise is back, but this time it's more continuous, and as such a lot more annyoing because the crackling/hissing now sounds more like a buzzing/whining. Turns out this time it's one of the 3000k doing it, I can make the noise stop by switching off the left LED/driver. Plugged it back in before I started writing this, now that is has worked itself up to the same noise level than before, I can say that the 3000k's noise truly is so much more unpleasant than the 4000k's.

What to do? I was intending to live near this thing. I could easily ignore the lower pitched stuff, I got bad hearing anyway, but when it sounds like a room full of old computers accessing the HDD it becomes pretty unpleasant. The drivers aren't grounded (didn't know that, I'd probably have preferred an HLG model out of pure superstition had I known), they got that square in the square icon, so I'm guessing opening them to apply some epoxy to the coils is a safety hazard, if at all achievable... Speaking of safety hazard, should I be worried?

Any shred of information, crazy suggestion or anecdotal evidence is welcome, I'm pretty desperate because I allready threw out the driver packagings and drilled the radiator according to their size (less of an issue but still)...
WhiteRecluse
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Why don't you contact the supplier and tell them what's going on with it? They will probably replace it. You can use the packaging they send to send that one back
Cheers!
Jolly Green Giant
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

welcome to the forum first off..

this is a new one to me.. and doesn't sound pleasant... like W.R. mentioned, contact where you got the drivers from... I'm assuming they are the problem..

as long as your contacts are secure, ( if you used strained wire, make sure not a single strain is exposed) there "shouldn't" be too much of a hazard of shock.... but then it not being a grounded driver, and making funny noises, I'm not sure how much I would trust it..

wish I had more to tell ya... but see what the supplier says about the noise.. and possibly swapping drivers...
mustermann
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Yes the wiring is safe, I just checked every detail too meticulously too many times because this has got me seriously worried :lol:

I did further testing. Working under the hypothesis that the load might be badly distributed (particularly good board coupled with particularly bad driver or vice-versa), or that there might be some issue with the drivers perpetually switching between constant current and constant voltage, I swapped the drivers around. Turns out each driver has it's own noise that it does regardless of which board is wired to it. So the hypothesis that a DC/DC converter might allow me to finetune away from the harmonic "sweetspot" is probably non-sense. Any ground loop or EMI voodoo has also been ruled out by disconnecting everything else (I don't see how that would be possible in the first place but again I'm no expert).

(yeah I researched a lot of bullshit theories of mine)

So here is what I think might have happened: Meanwell is a reputable brand and these models are hardly any cheaper than the HLG series. Nevertheless 2 out of 3 are noisy (the third one makes less noise than my high-end pc fans when the system is idle so that's totally fine). It just so happens that 2 out of 3 drivers were delivered apart, with a heavy ass radiator of 1m x 0,20m. So I think it's just because they weren't handled very carefully in transport. Alas I can't verify that theory anymore, but it would explain why I never noticed anything during testing (though it takes quite some time for the noise to build up). The radiator was the only reason I went for that particular webshop which had a lot less choice for LED drivers and that's how I found the NPF model. The shop is kind of far off in a foreign country, so I think I won't bother sending them back, especially since I've thrown out the box.

I bet I could get replacement for the incredibly noisy one directly per meanwell, I mean look at this it's embarrassing :lol:
https://www63.zippyshare.com/v/PiCpwB4k/file.html

But I think I'll just keep the silent one wired, and go get a HLG-240H-C2100A that I'll plug the two 3000k on - in series, just as most of the kits you can buy. That way I'll get replacement fast which I kind of deem worth it, I want to able to sit in my room without being annoyed as soon as possible, just as I want to be able to leave my room without worrying as soon as possible. And who knows, maybe some day I'll come up with a use for the two other drivers, where noise and reliability don't matter that much.
DavidHike
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Just noticed a 150H 54B Dimmable one is making that noise, it was louder when in use all night.
TEKNIK
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Drivers shouldn't make any noise, sometimes you may hear a high pitched hum when dimming them but if it anything more than that disconnect things as it maybe a fire hazard.
I do not know your particular problem but disconnect things asap and try to work it out.
Don't ever take a risk and thing that a strange sound will be fine.
Find me on Instagram led_teknik