Newbee. First grow! Seeking for some help.

A catch-all category for LED-related questions, content, news, rumors, or whatever. If it doesn’t fit elsewhere, put it here.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

Marine2143 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:53 pm
Aloha & Here in Hawai'i we find it is easier to make our own amino acids. Fish and brown sugar are local products.
Occam's Razor - the simplest method is usually the best method.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:35 am
I am by principle against these commercial nutrients, but did dable with them a few times in my life. I just passed through a period of testing different alternatives and am moving back to basics. Just got a 25kg sack of chicken shit/kelp with a profile of 2-1-4. I hardly see any benefit using liquid ferts, I see almost similar growth and more stability in an organic pre-fertilized mix, or supersoil.
There is no right way though, you are likely to spend some time exploring your chosen route.

In terms of components there are quite a lot of choices. In strips Samsung and bridgelux have pretty equal cost/ efficiency, but they are different in max power and the thermal aspects that power brings, so they often get used in different ways.

Then there are different specialty products, often desirable, but often at a value added price. So for instance to get a better spectrum some 80cri strips add 660nm reds. People add controllers for sunrises and sunsets etc
Thanks for your reply. Yes. Nature stuff must be better than those commercial ones.
For the light, I have checked HLG 550 V2 Full-Spectrum 480W, & diy section, the PCB panel with meanwell driver.
slayking0113
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Nuggie wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:46 pm
Marine2143 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:53 pm
Aloha & Here in Hawai'i we find it is easier to make our own amino acids. Fish and brown sugar are local products.
Occam's Razor - the simplest method is usually the best method.
Agree.
Amkz
LED-Curious
LED-Curious
Reactions:

Autos not best choise for indoor grow. Low qualty, low yeld, and more, MORE smell. Just add any fotoperiod strain in box, and look diffirent. Also, foto=cloning, economy seeds. Autos for small-summer outdoor grow. My 2cent ;)
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

slayking0113 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:10 am
unkle_psycho wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:35 am
I am by principle against these commercial nutrients, but did dable with them a few times in my life. I just passed through a period of testing different alternatives and am moving back to basics. Just got a 25kg sack of chicken shit/kelp with a profile of 2-1-4. I hardly see any benefit using liquid ferts, I see almost similar growth and more stability in an organic pre-fertilized mix, or supersoil.
There is no right way though, you are likely to spend some time exploring your chosen route.

In terms of components there are quite a lot of choices. In strips Samsung and bridgelux have pretty equal cost/ efficiency, but they are different in max power and the thermal aspects that power brings, so they often get used in different ways.

Then there are different specialty products, often desirable, but often at a value added price. So for instance to get a better spectrum some 80cri strips add 660nm reds. People add controllers for sunrises and sunsets etc
Thanks for your reply. Yes. Nature stuff must be better than those commercial ones.
For the light, I have checked HLG 550 V2 Full-Spectrum 480W, & diy section, the PCB panel with meanwell driver.
Better I guess varies by person, but I have met more then one commercial farmer who laughed at how cannabis growers approach fertilization quite differently then others. I don't think we only fail as a group though, our obsession might deliver all kinds of real value.
I spent a while testing liquid ferts and didn't see much of an advantage. I think they activate some type of gambling center in the brain, where you are continuously running after a possible abstract gain. I actually have to use will power to switch back to supersoils even though liquid ferts are expensive, impractical and of questionable efficiency.

In the end everything we do is developing us in one direction or another. We can map out a sea of commercial products or map out a sea of natural amendments, both take time to master and lead to a different skill set.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted"
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

Amkz wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:53 am
Autos not best choise for indoor grow. Low qualty, low yeld, and more, MORE smell. Just add any fotoperiod strain in box, and look diffirent. Also, foto=cloning, economy seeds. Autos for small-summer outdoor grow. My 2cent ;)
15y ago any cannabis strain with 20+% would have been super strong. Even in a brief time period strength has increased quite well. In the 40y before that regular cannabis strength had already grown from around 3% to the 20's.

So when I look at Autos I think about their development from ruderalis, and I wonder if their development into high thc territory is happening faster or slower then the development of regular strains. No doubt they are still behind, but I think the development speed, rather then the current status quo is what will determine the future.

I just spent a year phenohunting regulars and I must say I did not find many that beat my best auto genetics in quality. I breed autos but don't feel confident making sweeping conclusions on whats out there. Things move faster then my capacity to keep up. Have you had a look at stiches super autos for yield? And where have breeders taken them in the last 5y? Or how about mephisto? DP's new lines or the Spanish offerings?

For optimized mono-production clones from regulars provide a lot of benefits... Auto's provide a lot of other types of benefits... Need to flower without worrying about light leaks? Need to flower outside under scandinavian 20h light cycles? Need to achieve a higher DLI but can't afford a stronger light - longer hours with Autos. Want a continuously producing system with veg and flower in the same space? Peoples needs vary, and each production system can be optimized.
Nuggie
LED Maniac
LED Maniac
Reactions:

unkle_psycho wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:54 am

Better I guess varies by person, but I have met more then one commercial farmer who laughed at how cannabis growers approach fertilization quite differently then others. I don't think we only fail as a group though, our obsession might deliver all kinds of real value.
I spent a while testing liquid ferts and didn't see much of an advantage. I think they activate some type of gambling center in the brain, where you are continuously running after a possible abstract gain. I actually have to use will power to switch back to supersoils even though liquid ferts are expensive, impractical and of questionable efficiency.

In the end everything we do is developing us in one direction or another. We can map out a sea of commercial products or map out a sea of natural amendments, both take time to master and lead to a different skill set.
I completely agree, every time I fertilized my sunflowers, tomatoes, peppers, tomatillos, beans and onions last year it stunted their growth. With the sunflowers it was especially evident as I grow the mammoth's, in my grow log if I didn't fertilize I was getting 10-12" of height gain per week. After fertilizing this would drop to 6-8". Repeated this three times, first time they burnt and it took a week each time for plant to regain its growth. I figured I had the concentration too strong so diluted it to 1/2 the second time and 1/4 the third time and every time caused them to lag. Tomatoes I changed to fish fertilizer and they still burned. I am done with fertilizer, give me compost and I'll be happy.
If your aunt had balls she'd be your uncle.
ATPinMotion
LED Lover
LED Lover
Reactions:

Amkz wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:53 am
Can you expand on this?

We have found quite the opposite. Sativas are great for outdoor, because it's hard to grow a 3m or 5m plant indoors.

Autos are great indoor because they grow very consistently. No trimming/pruning/scrogging/bondage required. They will never take over a tent or choke out another plant. Of course little ruderalis will provide less yield per plant, but if one can grow a lot of plants close together, autos are great.

Also, autos can be of great medicinal value, offering CBD and CBN.

As far as 'nutes' are concerned. We order bulk 'amendments' and mix our own soil. It can be overwhelming, and difficult to source organic components, so for new growers I usually recommend;

https://www.gaiagreen.com/product-page/ ... pose-4-4-4

Great way to get all the amendments in one place, and will approach the 'custom' mix we make ourselves (plus compost of course)

https://www.gaiagreen.com/product-page/ ... loom-2-8-4

Is also excellent for fruiting/flowering plants. Top dress once in the first or second week of flower :mrgreen:

If you are in Canada, check out our pals over at

http://blackswallowsoil.com

Nathan and Rob are there to help anyone who wants to grow 'naturally'.
Run 'em soft
unkle_psycho
LED Wizard
LED Wizard
Reactions:

I've seen a few autos that might take over a tent :D

Outside autos are all we have with our 24h sun, here they got bred in all directions. When I got back I was given some products people were unsure if they were autos or early flowering, because they had so long veg periods and got so huge. I put a bunch in yogurt cups, and larger containers of varying sizes and they grew and flowered along pot size. They are autos but some different type. Not too popular because they are not so strong. I have one line I breed like this, artists and working people love it, stoners hate it. It has a very positive, pure, and balanced high.
Mike
LED Enthusiast
LED Enthusiast
Reactions:

Hlg are a fantastic product and produce little to no heat depending on how dimmed they are.

I use 2 hlg 260w and add far for last 60 days.

As far as everything else a checklist may help. I still find myself buying things to add into the system.

Maybe it’s just a personal preference but if your doing anything indoors why not go hydro? I’ve found it a lot easier then soil with knowing what your adding to the system is exactly what is needed and not stunting or killing plants.

An easy rdwc diy would run you 100-200$, depending on location to hardware store.
53CB0113-2772-4E9F-98E5-4D7B1D3E2ED8.jpeg